Are elbow and knee/shin pads worth it?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
bobkerry

Re: Are elbow and knee/shin pads worth it?

Postby bobkerry » 20 Jun 2010, 10:42pm

hello everyone.....well i believe that knee / elbow shin pads are worthful.....
if you use them, then you can be protected and can have a safe ride...
so follow the proper rules and protect yourself while riding.....
have fun and enjoy

san0

Postby san0 » 15 Jul 2010, 11:04pm

I've now used football shin pads with football socks for a while, these are great for protection from stinging nettles and pedal slips. I've seen many collegues with gashed/scarred shins from slips. I now want to buy some knee protectors after a nasty high speed fall on a trail. I always thought it would never happen to me, but unluckily it was my turn.

Can anyone suggest good comfy pads that can be worn for 4+ hour rides?

lawrenceb

Postby lawrenceb » 4 Aug 2010, 12:32pm

tbh all the times i have come off a bike and shredded my elbows, knees and skins. I have not been wearing any safety gear. In hindsight i guess it would have been more sensible to wear them, if it wasnt for the sweating, uncomfortable, rash factors that i get with wearing for knee, shin, ankle protection.

Phatman

Postby Phatman » 5 Aug 2010, 4:22pm

I can confirm they work - I rode the cross country course at our local bike park, Aston Hill without armour. The last 10 yards of the descent is treacherous and I went right over the top and ripped up my left forearm. I bought some armour and went back a few weeks later and didn't come off at all!

The course is a technical downhill followed by some lovely singletrack and then a grinding switchback uphill.

Riding the downhill and the swooping singletrack the armour isn't much of a problem, but I had to take it off for the uphill as, firstly, I didn't need it going so slowly and secondly it would have been too uncomfortable.

mheard

Postby mheard » 4 Dec 2010, 9:45am

Mandatory? Good grief. If you want to wear protection then go ahead. If you don't then don't. Now I'm 40 I wear pads because the last time I flew off my bike my elbow took 1.5 years to stop bothering me and that's boring!! Investing in your skills is the best way to reduce risk. Only you should decide what you do on your own bike, the freedom from legislation and rules cycling offers should be fought for forever.