How to increase fitness for MTB rides

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
san0

How to increase fitness for MTB rides

Post by san0 »

Hi all, i recently bought a Cube Ltd pro and intend on using this more off road than on.
Having been on an easy off-road ride - i found it quite challenging as I was so used to on road leisurely rides.
Now turned 40, i want to try to 'keep up' with all the other riders who seem to have tree trunk legs, whilst i have chop-sticks!
-- I commute 14 miles a days, 3 times a week,
--- go lift weights at gym for 40 mins, 1 time a week,
----and try to go out with the CTC on weekend whenever possible.
Are there any particularly good exercises to do in gym or a certain way to ride mtb to increase fitness? Or take steroids?
gilesjuk

Re: How to increase fitness for MTB rides

Post by gilesjuk »

Take all the gears off the bike. Singlespeeding will build up massive legs.

Drugs are for losers.
MattyDeez

Post by MattyDeez »

Don't even think about steroids, get it out of your head.

It's not natural.

It causes more problems then good.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

MattyDeez wrote:Don't even think about steroids, get it out of your head.

It's not natural.

It causes more problems then good.

Indeed, plus can cause aggression.

You build muscle by breaking the muscle fibres, they then heal and grow in size.

You aren't going to push yourself to the limit or beyond it by whimping out and using gears on hill, you end up on the granny ring spinning out. You have to push your muscles to the max by pushing really hard on the cranks to get up a hill.
workhard

Post by workhard »

ride fixed on road. you will develop legs like steel hawsers and lungs like steam engines
hamster

Post by hamster »

I have to say that MTB singlespeeding for 18 months has made me much stronger. Let's sum it up as if the choice is ride or walk, then you will discover levels of determination you didn't know you had!
The first couple of months are hard work, but singlespeeding had the same effect as riding with a Marines PT instructor shouting at me!

It's worth it! :D
san0

Post by san0 »

Ok, so i won't be changing my set up as it's all new... so i'll try riding in a single gear for a a month to see how i get on.
What is the usual number of teeth to use on front chain ring and rear cogs?
Also when you say 'single speed' you mean i can pedal backwards/freewheel unlike 'fixed gears' right?
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

The "standard" SS gearing is 32:16, but 32:18 is also popular for those in hillier areas. They're not law, but will give you a good idea of what people generally use. But yes, single-speed means freewheeling. Fixed gears are rather rare.

Naturally, though, the best way to increase fitness is to ride more, whether geared or not. Technique will help too, to maximise efficiency, so consider going on a training course.
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Far simpler , just tackle every hill you can find and never get out of the saddle.

I have only been defeated by two hills on account of steepness
martinwf5

Post by martinwf5 »

i use about 4 gears on my mtb and leave the front crank ring at the top, it does eventually build your fitness up as i'm finding now after a couple of weeks, im doing about 20 miles a day, at first i was hard but now its easier so i need to do a longer ride.
it does work just keep your mindset to 4-5 gears.

Martin
workhard

Post by workhard »

mark a. wrote:The "standard" SS gearing is 32:16, but 32:18 is also popular for those in hillier areas. They're not law, but will give you a good idea of what people generally use. But yes, single-speed means freewheeling. Fixed gears are rather rare.

Naturally, though, the best way to increase fitness is to ride more, whether geared or not. Technique will help too, to maximise efficiency, so consider going on a training course.

Fixed gears, unless you are a uber skilled bmx or trials rider, are pretty much a no no off road on any real terrain. If you are in a rut or a gulley or approaching a rock or a tree stump you want to be albe to keep your pedals flat to ensure your pedals clears the obstacle.

32:16 is what I've got on my ssmtb
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

workhard wrote:Fixed gears, unless you are a uber skilled bmx or trials rider, are pretty much a no no off road on any real terrain. If you are in a rut or a gulley or approaching a rock or a tree stump you want to be albe to keep your pedals flat to ensure your pedals clears the obstacle.

Indeed. But presumably this is the main reason why the 3 people in the world who do it occasionally (I have read of some) - it's weird and contrary and presumably a fun challenge (until you get beached on a root).
workhard

Post by workhard »

mark a. wrote:Indeed. But presumably this is the main reason why the 3 people in the world who do it occasionally (I have read of some) - it's weird and contrary and presumably a fun challenge (until you wake up in hospital with multiple fractures).

FTFY :wink:
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

san0 wrote:Ok, so i won't be changing my set up as it's all new... so i'll try riding in a single gear for a a month to see how i get on.
What is the usual number of teeth to use on front chain ring and rear cogs?
Also when you say 'single speed' you mean i can pedal backwards/freewheel unlike 'fixed gears' right?

Thing is, with a singlespeed you get one really efficient gear. You don't get that by leaving the bike in one gear.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Overrated I think. Derailleur gears are around 98% efficient, if clean and well lubricated.
I certainly can't tell the difference in efficiency between a cross chained gear combination and a straight one.