Afan Forest Park - Skyline red route

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
san0

Afan Forest Park - Skyline red route

Post by san0 »

Hi all, I want to prepare for this difficult route http://www.afanforestpark.co.uk/en/afan/cms/Attractions_in_Afan_/Mountain_Biking_in_A/Skyline/Skyline.aspx

Having just been doing 10 miles in my local forests a week for a few months now, I was thinking what else must I be prepared for on this trip to South Wales. Also have been commuting 13 miles a day.

A group of us (intermediate level riders) from work will travel there mid-August. We have some questions to all those who have been there...

1. How much water do each rider needs for 5-7 hours riding?
2. Do we need to bring locks with us on the ride? (trying to cut down unnecessary things)
3. How much food for the 46km journey - can you give good food ideas?
4. Will we get wet in this route - i.e. water crossings , or extreme weather changes!!?
5. Is this route busy on Saturdays?
6. Do you think we need several layers of clothes in mid August - ie base, top, fleece and jacket?
7. Will mobile phones work out here?
8. Should we even go on this route if we aren't very experienced or super fit?
9. How heavy is the average rucksack a rider would carry?

Any other suggestions and feedback welcome.
mattsccm

Re: Afan Forest Park - Skyline red route

Post by mattsccm »

I reckon you might just be worrying a bit too much.
Water . If its a hot day you might need some extra but I rarely bother with more than a 2 litre camelback. Shove a couple of 500ml bottles of water in some where if its very warm. You can crush these when empty .Yeah they were bulky full but crushing makes them smaller and thats nice. I am told that you need a litre of water an hour! Yeah right! Just get a bit dry.
August. It will rain but be warm. You know your own riding temp but on the Skyline I would wear a vest, short sleeve top and carry a windproof that keeps out some rain. If its cloudy/cold maybe long sleeves or better still arm warmers. Shorts. It won't snow.
Nothing much to worry about en-route. The final descent is the best bit. Much of the route is forestry gravel. OD on grub and water before you start and carry some munchies.
Don't get stressed by the height etc. its just a ride round the woods with plenty of bail out spots. carry an OS map as the markings are not perfect and better still a GPS. Even the trail maps are't perfect.
Maybe a couple of tubes if riding hard tails for the brilliant rocky last few miles.
san0

Post by san0 »

http://picasaweb.google.com/sandesigns/AfanForestMountainBiking
Well back from this epic ride. Red route trails are definitely not for beginners which i found out. Some parts are good but mostly challenging to those who are very cautious when riding off-road.

Rode the wall http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/Centres/Afan_Forest_Park/The_Wall/The_Wall.aspx
and part of the Skyline http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/Centres/Afan_Forest_Park/Skyline/Skyline.aspx

I bought way too much with me, beginning at 9:30 to 5pm, I used only 2.5 litres of water (SIS Go). Took a sandwich, banana and a few snack bars.
From the pics you can see me on the Cube with too much on it. Next time it's best to share the load, some people carry a certain tool, and some person carry something else. Definitely carry 2 spare tubes.
KiyoTatsu

Post by KiyoTatsu »

I thought the red routes at Afan were really good trails for beginners to start on although, in my opinion far too many of the ascents are fireroad and not enough single track :( As long as a beginner has ridden offroad before, has a decent bike ( I don't so I hire xD ) and knows to do things like lowering the saddle, keeping weight back down descents and getting round tight turns they should be ok. Afan is where I first went mountain biking. I did Penhydd, the Wall and the Whites descent. I think that as long as a beginner is careful and doesn't hammer it round too quickly for the first run on the trail so they get to know what's coming up and aren't surprised by any large obstacles it's not too bad. Most of the drop offs, when I was there, were rollable. Although some of the drops got a big bigger from one year to the next on Penhydd but that might be what's being sorted out now with that trail being closed this year.

Glad you had a good time there. I haven't done Skyline yet as I always camp at the little campsite on the hill right over at the start of Penhydd but I will have to go give it a go next time I head that way. It sounds awesome and more challenging than the other trails :)
Mr Fix-a-Lot

Post by Mr Fix-a-Lot »

Excellent, looks like you had a great time :P We will be following in your tracks at the end of September........Can,t wait :lol:

Paul.
grw

Post by grw »

Good stuff. Your photo 23 made me laugh - what happened to the chap in the background? Just taking a rest?
Its been a couple of years since I went at Afan - I loved spending weekends there! I seem to remember thinking that the Red routes were okay for beginners. Or at least I did until I took a mate who had not been on a bike in years and he really struggled. Did't complain though and rode most of it.
grw