Beginner's Bike

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
alfredm

Beginner's Bike

Post by alfredm »

Hi everyone! I am new to cycling and would like to get myself a nice bike, one which isn't too heavy. I am not planning on doing crazy things with it, just on the road and perhaps a bit of leisurely off-road tracks. What do you fellow cyclists recommend as a good starters bike? Thanks!!
Snakes

Re: Beginner's Bike

Post by Snakes »

Hi Alfredm,

Your question really depends upon many things... If the riding you'll be doing for the majority of time is a mix of road/leisurely trails (and with leisurely trails I'm asuming the likes of towpaths, disused railway paths etc), then perhaps a hybrid's worth considering... If a Mountain bike's (MTB) more your cup of tea, then they'll be no need for a full suspension bike, a hard tail (i.e. with front suspension only) will do the job. If an MTB is what you're looking for, then given the type of riding you'd be doing you'd possibly want to change the tyres from large nobbles, to semi slick tyres as these designed for mixed riding, i.e. road/light off-road.

The best thing to do really of course is to go to a few local bike shops (if a few's an option), and test a number of bikes. The most important thing for you to consider is how comfortable you are on those you select. I do appreciate that it's a bit daunting if you're new to cycling as there's a pretty broad choice out there.

I hope the above's of some help! :)

Snakes
squeaker

Re: Beginner's Bike

Post by squeaker »

Do you intend riding in wet weather? If yes, then get something with mudguards on it (that should rule out 95% of available options :roll: ). More seriously, trying a few different styles, maybe asking friends (or finding a local club?) should help, also working out if you want to carry much stuff. As snakes said, a simple 'hybrid' might be a good starting point e.g. something like this (with added mudguards and a pannier rack). Might be worth a read of this too ;)
"42"