Joggers with headphones

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Riderchris

Joggers with headphones

Post by Riderchris »

Beware approaching joggers with headphones from behind. They are in another world , cannot hear even shouts and might turn at any time. In my case just as I started to pass. The bike is fine but the fingers arn't. Lesson learnt.
Brian73

Re: Joggers with headphones

Post by Brian73 »

LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

1 LOW SPEED IMPACT AND 1 VERY LOW SPEED IMPACT IN THE LAST 14 MONTHS ...all in my car and all with joggers with I pods connected running out between cars ... on both occasions they apologised .. but i called the police in case of a change of their heart later ... no further action...!
Cyclists with I pods plugged in scare me ... is it an attempt at sucide.... personaly i need every external sensory imput i can to remain safe on the road...!!!
Riderchris

Post by Riderchris »

Yes the Airzound is a great toy but I made an error of judgement. I thought he was in this world and he wasnt and my fingers still suffer.They remind me not to do it again. The headphone thing is a huge problem. A paperboy in my town was killed when he stepped out in the road with 'phones on full volume. I should ride defensively, jogger or 40ton truck. Being right is OK but it dosnt lessen the pain.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Often though you cannot see they have 'phones in. So many walkers as well as joggers use them around Preston and the shared use paths in the parks. Often they are pushing prams/pushchairs so really interacting with the offspring they are with.
Also in the news today as being a cause for a big increase in accidents esp in the under 30yr old male.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Si

Post by Si »

Thing on the news this morning about the number of walkers with phones who have been killed in the USA....does seem to be a bit of a problem.
meic

Post by meic »

eileithyia wrote:Often though you cannot see they have 'phones in. So many walkers as well as joggers use them around Preston and the shared use paths in the parks. Often they are pushing prams/pushchairs so really interacting with the offspring they are with.
Also in the news today as being a cause for a big increase in accidents esp in the under 30yr old male.

I hope they did a double blind test, putting 100 people in dangerous situations, half wearing headphones and half not wearing headphones.
Otherwise the result is pure conjecture, based purely on the assumption that the headphone wearing caused the accident.

Now that original assumption is pretending to be a scientific fact.
Homeopaths are discredited for using dodgy techniques like that. :lol:

Whereas my assumption is that under 30 year old males are just in a dream world, after all why are us older folks getting killed while wearing headphones? :wink:

Si, is that phones or headphones?
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

Riderchris wrote:Beware approaching joggers with headphones from behind. They are in another world , cannot hear even shouts and might turn at any time. In my case just as I started to pass. The bike is fine but the fingers arn't. Lesson learnt.

Do you expect them to act any differently when they dont have headphones on?

In my experience pedestrians just act as if they arent even on a road, whether they are on one or not.
Yma o Hyd
fylbiker

Post by fylbiker »

Riderchris wrote:Beware approaching joggers with headphones from behind. They are in another world , cannot hear even shouts and might turn at any time. In my case just as I started to pass. The bike is fine but the fingers arn't. Lesson learnt.

the muggers/rapists friend :roll: :roll: :roll:
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

Not just joggers and peds - mountain bikers, too.

Always announce your presence from behind, and look for the ear buds. I have to say that I think for a cyclist to be doing this is the height of stupidity. If you disagree with me, ask the chap who I hailed three times, and who then fell off out of surprise.
Burt

Post by Burt »

i always wonder how they can relax with the headphones - I mean they must know that it is dangerous and it is not very relaxing to be aware of the fact that at any time they could bump into a car or bike or something...
and action!
meic

Post by meic »

You think that if you remove the headphones these dangers will magically vanish?

The music helps you to relax but of course the other half of the "music is only for drivers" brigade will see that as a bad thing.
Yma o Hyd
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I too am surprised by the number of cyclists I hear about saying they listen to music - incredibly dangerous!
meic

Post by meic »

What? It could perforate your eardrums?
Yma o Hyd
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Early this year I finished work at 2pm so took the long way home along the Pill - Bristol path. I met three joggers, two without and one with earphones. The two without I passed without a problem if delayed for 10 seconds, the one with was a totally different matter. After two polite excuse mes he hadn't acknowleged me so I dropped back a little and turned on the camera.

http://www.youtube.co/watch?v=TcEqFQoyWSw&