29er tyre choice

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Meshuga

29er tyre choice

Post by Meshuga »

So these things have been around for a few years but it is hard to find opinion/grouptests on 29er tyres as new models still seem to come out each year as manufacturers increase their support. So what do CTC forum users reckon? Are 29er's popular enough yet for anyone to have a well rounded opinion? Have you tried a tyre and found it particularly good/poor.

Things that matter to me are grip (I ride the Peak District all year round), and longevity. I don't mind spending £40 per tyre if they are going to last a few miles.

Tubed or tubeless tyres I don't mind, but I don't want to spark another debate on that subject! And what sort of widths do people find necessary? Currently building a 29er and looking for it's first set of shoes...
Brucey

Re: 29er tyre choice

Post by Brucey »

some of the options come in 26" too, so you can compare peformance 'by proxy' as it were in the other size.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Bonty mud-x seem fine to me. Tubeless though, which means lower pressures and more grip.
andyh2

Post by andyh2 »

There's a fair bit of 29er tyre info if you do a search here;
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/forum/bike-chat
with some comparison reviews if you look here;
http://twentynineinches.com/
salsafargo

Post by salsafargo »

i use a maxxis tyre 2.4 on front 2.25 on the rear, the good thing with a 29er is that you can get away with a shallow tread tyre as the contact area is a lot bigger
Bengdogg

Post by Bengdogg »

Bontrager XR4 front for mud, Mud x rear or bonty XR2 rear for dryer and XR2's all round when really dry have worked well for me. I really rate bonty tyres and they seem to give the best 29er offerings out of major manufacturers imo
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Have been seriously impressed with the Schwalbe Ice Spiker in 26ins and have seen the same tyre for 29 ins. Think if you fit one you will be impressed. A wee bit of advice ride these tyres on the road for a while to let the studs settle or they will come out. One of the best MTB around and if you can go for the PRO version as it's even better though not cheap!!!