Lake District - Dow Crag

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
karlt

Lake District - Dow Crag

Post by karlt »

http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=14&la ... layers=B00

Shows a cycleway from the Walna Scar road over Dow Crag.

I think this is probably a mistake, but would like to know! It's a footpath according to the OS.
cycleruk

Re: Lake District - Dow Crag

Post by cycleruk »

Yes it is a mistake. It is a footpath that will take you up to the Old Man.
You can legally ride the Walna Scar Road (requires the odd push/carry) if you want to.
I have ridden it a few times but a few years back.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
karlt

Post by karlt »

Thanks. I find from local knowledge around here that I have to take the Open Cycle Map with a pinch of salt. There are a number of routes around here where it's the only thing claiming they're available for cycling. It would help if some official body published a definitive map including local routes.
Burt

Post by Burt »

Especially since the lake district is really great to cycle along, I mean, the scenery is great, i did a walking tour through it once and loved it.
and action!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

karlt wrote:Thanks. I find from local knowledge around here that I have to take the Open Cycle Map with a pinch of salt. There are a number of routes around here where it's the only thing claiming they're available for cycling. It would help if some official body published a definitive map including local routes.

I know this is an oldish thread but O.S. maps are the best for routes. They show all the bridleways and green roads and new maps also now show cycle routes.
Go to your local library and they may have the 1-25,000 series (2.5" to mile) which I found are the best for detailed route finding.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Alternatively, if you are online reading this, you can always go to the Ordnance Survey's very own Getamap site.

You can close the login/sign up box (it just means you won't be able to plot & save routes). If you find & zoom into the area you want to look at with the "ZoomMap" button (top left) highlighted, if you then click on the nearby "Leisure" button it will show the 1:50k map of that area, changing to the 1:25k as you zoom in (there is also the option of Aerial view which should be fairly self explanatory).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

karlt wrote:Thanks. I find from local knowledge around here that I have to take the Open Cycle Map with a pinch of salt. There are a number of routes around here where it's the only thing claiming they're available for cycling. It would help if some official body published a definitive map including local routes.

• Navigate map to the place you want to fix
  • Click 'Edit'
  • When the editor has loaded, click the path that's wrongly tagged
  • Change the information on the left so it's correct (in this case, I guess you want to change "Bicycles permitted" to "Prohibited")
  • Click 'Save'

Once OpenCycleMap has picked up the information from OSM (usually takes a couple of days but I believe there are some server issues with OCM at the moment, so it'll be a bit longer), it'll show the correct info.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
notanotherhill

Post by notanotherhill »

Ennerdale and beyond is a great place to cycle, it's harder to get to, but very few people and tourists with spectacular scenery, if the weather is kind
karlt

Post by karlt »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:

• Navigate map to the place you want to fix
  • Click 'Edit'
  • When the editor has loaded, click the path that's wrongly tagged
  • Change the information on the left so it's correct (in this case, I guess you want to change "Bicycles permitted" to "Prohibited")
  • Click 'Save'

Once OpenCycleMap has picked up the information from OSM (usually takes a couple of days but I believe there are some server issues with OCM at the moment, so it'll be a bit longer), it'll show the correct info.

Thing is they are all meant to be part of the Chesterfield cycling network; it's just the project appears to have stalled. I did email to ask what was going on but just got static.