Skiddaw House Youth Hostel

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Helen

Skiddaw House Youth Hostel

Post by Helen »

www.skiddawhouse.co.uk

It's back! I've just stayed there for a few days and walked all the bridlepaths. A few years ago I managed them on my road bike, but this time I only saw (plenty of) mountain bikers.

The tracks are easy to follow - only walking from Keswick did I have to check my map. The easiest way to walk is from the Blencathra Centre a mile past Threlkeld - about 1h 20m once you leave tarmac. Bus from Keswick to Threlkeld is a rip-off £2.45. You can't go wrong either from the east or the west. Coming from the west is steepest, passing Dash Falls.

You don't need to take any bedding to the hostel. Camping £5pp.

By the way - I believe Keswick YH has no cycle accommodation now and it's £19 B&B. I went to Denton House indi (next to Fire Station). £12.50 and cycle shelter. See Independent Hostel Guide.
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

A great place to stay, I cycled there with a friend in the mid 80's.
At the time the warden's landrover was in the garage for repair so they had rather a long walk for supplies !
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

That's great news! Last time I saw Martin was at Eppng YHA, I wound him up by asking whether he preferred Epping or Skiddaw Hse. It's a long time since you saw this sort of co-operation from the YHA isn't it:

"If you are planning a visit and are an individual or in a small party (3 or less), there is no need to book, just turn up."