New Suspension forks with V mounts

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
lowrider

New Suspension forks with V mounts

Postby lowrider » 31 Jul 2012, 6:04pm

Hi

Can anyone recommend a reasonable quality replacement fork that has v mounts it will be for cross country rather than anything severe. All I seem to see is forks towards the lower end of the market.

Malaconotus

Re: New Suspension forks with V mounts

Postby Malaconotus » 31 Jul 2012, 7:29pm

There's not a lot of choice of high end or even midmarket forks with V-brake mounts as new items these days. Disc brakes have now permeated right to the bottom of the market, and so good replacement forks are almost all disc brake only.

These are good quality, though obviously not comparable to expensive high end forks for ride quality and plushness etc... https://www.greyville.com/products/9070 ... BgieKDYFPE

If the bike is worth it, have you considered a disc front brake conversion? We've been seriously impressed by the new Shimano Deore hydraulics at the shop I work in, but while the brake is £60, of course the new wheel and rotor are going to add another £80 or more... http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... disc-brake

lowrider

Postby lowrider » 31 Jul 2012, 8:43pm

Thanks for the reply

The forks look ok but they are actually disc only, the photos wrong. The bikes fairly new but has a rigid fork (suspension corrected) which is suitable for V brake only. The new fork would be for occasional use say 3 months of the year, the rest of the time the current fork will be on.

The forks I have seen were below £100 would these be ok or are second hand forks a possibility?

Si

Postby Si » 1 Aug 2012, 11:19am

If you got a cable disc then you could leave the brakes on each fork (disc on sus and Vs on rigid) and use the same brake lever to operate them...although you might have to change the brake cable when you swap forks but that's pretty easy.

lowrider

Postby lowrider » 2 Aug 2012, 9:55pm

Si wrote:If you got a cable disc then you could leave the brakes on each fork (disc on sus and Vs on rigid) and use the same brake lever to operate them...although you might have to change the brake cable when you swap forks but that's pretty easy.

Thanks for the input,
It would be a cable disc I would go for I did not consider that trick, I am thinking of a general upgrade with decent wheels at a later date. This would be an opportunity too change to discs, it would probably be better to get a suspension fork at that point. What I did not say was that the bike does not have disc as I intend to transport it with the wheels off and in a bag, I was concerned about the possibility of damage to the discs. I think I will carry a spare rotor in such circumstances not perfect but a solution.

Thanks to SI and Malaconotus your your help.

Si

Postby Si » 3 Aug 2012, 1:19pm

In my experience, rotors are pretty well protected whether the wheel is in or out, and they are pretty strong anyway...I've never managed to damage one in twelve years of misuse!