26" Wheels on a 29er. Daft idea?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Brucey

Re: 26" Wheels on a 29er. Daft idea?

Post by Brucey »

re the BB height issue; with tyres the same x-section, the BB height will change by 31.5mm nominally. If you are comparing 2" x 26" tyres with (say) 35mm 700Cs then there is nominally a 5.5mm drop between the two. Note also that MTBs have BB heights that are typically 3/4" or 1" greater than many road bikes.....

Bottom line, I'm not sure that BB height is necessarily going to be a big issue if you plan to use the bike on the road. And yeah, if you can do, trying it out cheaply seems like a good idea.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Thanks for thinking over the numbers Brucey.

I think this could be doable, even if Mr Salsa doesn't like the idea. I think they just don't small wheels any more.

Was rather hoping I might be going home, but this weather's holding me here rather longer, so all my little plans and experiments are to wait longer...
Regurgatron

Post by Regurgatron »

mrjemm wrote:One that interests me is the Genesis Fortitude Adventure, which uses relatively short rigid forks apparently.
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/fra ... -adventure

Why mess about? Get a Fortitude.

I've got a singlespeed - it's magic.

mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Very nice. I'd need a few gears, but definately an interesting bike.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Bit late on this one, but Cotic are happy for one to use either 559 or 622 rims (or anything in between) in their Road Rat. I use 559s in mine (with 40mm section slick tyres and 170mm cranks) and it's lovely.
YMMV, of course!
"42"
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

That's one I was ogling before. It is a rather nice frame indeed. I like the flexibility. Was hoping to look at one in the flesh. Curious about the front mounted brake caliper though- I wonder if it hampers the mounting of a low-rider. Not that there are any mounts on those forks.

Was in the Lakes at the weekend and 'found' a Singular Peregrine frame for sale, with some reductions for shop soiling- chipped paintwork. Was very very tempted though. It's at Planet Fear if anyone wants to remove the temptation...
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

I have a Cotic Road Rat and was considering switching the 700c wheels for 26" as I have a pair hanging about. I'd have to switch to disc brakes though, which seems an over kill for my flat single speed route home?

I once fitted a 29er front wheel to a 26 MTB. Obviously it altered the handling but it was still very ridable. i had taken off a suspention fork and fitted a ridgid carbon and the heights were not to dis-similar.

I like the idea and enjoy experimenting. Give it a go!
andy753

Post by andy753 »

Yep, amusing idea but I don't think it will be a good option. The gearing will change as well don't forget!
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

andy753 wrote:Yep, amusing idea but I don't think it will be a good option. The gearing will change as well don't forget!

Only in so far as 26" will have lower gearing than 29"/700, as I am getting on my mtb and rough stuff thingy, compared to my tourer with similar mechanicals- run out of gears on a downhill, but that's normal for any 26" bike, surely.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

VayaBehindsm.jpg

Finally gave it a go yesterday, and found that it wouldn't take much of a turn to cause pain. This is with 175mm cranks and 28mm tyres I think.
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

As long as it has disc brakes no problems as hubs tend to be universal. The downside is the length of your pedal cranks. Personally like the Halo Combat wheels from billys.co.uk in 26 ins [559] rim size.
cem1965

Post by cem1965 »

I don't know if you could fit 26"s on a 29er frame cos of the pedal strikes on cornering and as said the chain set is longer on the 29ers so this may also be a problem, but this is just my idea i haven't tested it yet as i am also wanting to use an old 29er frame to make an electric bike, but they are only 26" wheels. If this will work could anybody please confirm, i'm also using disk brakes setup.

Thanks
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Similarly, I've fitted 24" wheels (admittedly with pretty big tyres) to a 26er with no problems. I used 170mm cranks and it wasn't too dodgy pedalling through the rocky bits.
The only changing dimension that should affect handling is the reduced trail, I can only comment from the sample of one, but it handled a treat at all speeds, possibly helped by the low CoG!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

No one has mentioned 27.5 / 650b wheels. I now run them instead of 700c.
elPedro666

Re: RE: Re: 26" Wheels on a 29er. Daft idea?

Post by elPedro666 »

yostumpy wrote:No one has mentioned 27.5 / 650b wheels. I now run them instead of 700c.

With bigger 650b tyres I'd imagine that the OD is all but the same? Just a comfier ride [emoji41]

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.