Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC 99-00 Upgrading

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
ernycb

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC 99-00 Upgrading

Post by ernycb »

Just wandering if anyone is aware of any cheap source to upgrade the front & rear shock of one one these older bikes ? Dont want to spend too much because the bike is over 10 years old, but apart from the suspension (no lockouts, etc) , the bike is still fine.
Brucey

Re: Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC 99-00 Upgrading

Post by Brucey »

financially speaking, buying new suspension parts for most MTBs rarely makes any sense whatsoever. For the price of a decent fork and shock, you can usually get another bike.

BTW I own an FSR-XC of similar vintage and -for what it is- I think it is a really good bike.

IMHO the only reason you might need more adjustment on the suspension is because they didn't get it right, or you bought the wrong bike.

In a similar vein, I can't see any real point in fitting a lockout to my XC; if you pedal properly it doesn't bob, because the rear suspension is well designed; it only has about 3-1/2" of travel anyway. If you pedal badly, it doesn't matter if you have lockout or not; you are not making best progress, either way.

If yours has the same Fox rear shock as mine, the damping rates are spot on and it works really well. The Manitou fork is one of the best budget forks I have ridden. Protection (see blow), regular cleaning and an occasional lube job keeps them sweet.

I gave my shock the best chance of long-term survival by fitting it with a shield that catches the crud off the rear wheel. I can post a photo if you want. This kind of design oversight (putting the shock where all the crud off the rear wheel will hit it) is, along with the way the Horst link bushings are made, the kind of crummy design features that Californians will come up with. The rest of the bike is much better than this.

If your rear shock is kippered, you may be able to get it rebuilt; another good reason for sticking with a Fox shock. IIRC the FSR-XC shock has a common end fitting, but an uncommon length and stroke. If you are thinking of alternative shocks, be careful; the linkage means that the shock stroke and wheel travel are not equal. A shock meant for a different linkage ratio will normally have damping settings that are hopelessly wrong.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ernycb

Post by ernycb »

Ok, thanks for the tips, I will try to readjust and see !
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've got what seems to be a 1999 FSR Comp. I've never really worked out the models and what they all mean; I'm not exactly an expert off-roader and I just use it for occasional trails riding. Any information welcome. I do understand why downhill bikes have longer travel and so on; I've just never understood the Specialized model names.

I bought mine second hand. It's unchanged except that I added extension bars (Specialized of course!)

I also found this reviews page.