Dog walkers or horseriders?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
francovendee

Re: Dog walkers or horseriders?

Post by francovendee »

You're right, we can all be irritating to others especially when trying to share the same space.

If, a big if, everyone tried not to endanger or inconvenience others in whatever they're doing it'd be a better world.
Cyclists riding on pavements without care for the pedestrians (yes I know they shouldn't be on the pavement) , drivers that pass far to close, dog owners who don't control they're dogs and horse riders who can sometimes be a bit sniffy that you are on 'their' track. All could be avoided.

In the video the dog owner could have held the dog's collar for 30 seconds so the rider could continue, then let the dog free to continue it's exercise. Instead a row resulted, leaving both parties very angry.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Dog walkers? Pedestrians? Cyclists? Motorists? Horse riders? We could all simply exercise courtesy and not get on a high horse (pun intended) about rights. It goes a long way and leads to a less stressful life.
John
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

In related incidents, I have been savaged on two ocassions by loose terrier dogs.
In one incident, a Jack Russell bolted from a doorway, just as I was passing. It managed to bite my left foot so hard that its teeth went through my cycling pumps.
On another ocassion, two Black Patterdale terriers came at me in a pincer movement. Antcipating the attack, I disengeged my cleats in readiness for a kick. I managed to get one under its jaws and lifted it in the air to accompanying squeeling.
Its woman owner shouted after me with a stream of foul expletives.
The French had the answer to these four legged perishers in the shape of a two shot deringer pistol.
Velo Chien could be loaded with pepper or a bulleted round, depending on the size and ferocity of the expected assailants.
RH20

Post by RH20 »

How about this for logic. Out walking with my retired adopted greyhound, my dog on a lead. A spaniel came bounding up, jumping all over my dog, I tried to get the spaniel away as it was causing distress to my dog. Usual response from the owner of the other dog “it only wants to play.” Well my dog doesn’t want to play, can you please put your dog on the lead. So far so not good. Then comes the logical response, “the only reason your dog is on a lead is because it is vicious.” Hmmmm, that takes some beating. As the old adage goes, you can’t put it where it won’t go. In all walks of life there seems to be those who do not want to accept responsibility for their actions, and like it or not, we are stuck with it.
Fortunately, whilst out on the bike I have not yet encountered, “it only wants to play.” But no doubt at some point I will.
On a more positive note, whenever I have come across a horse rider when on my bike I have always received a courteous response to my presence. I always slow down and let them know I am approaching when coming from the rear, and slow when they can see me in front. Give me a horse rider any day before a dog walker who does not want to have control of their dog.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

This thread did not need resurrecting.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Vorpal wrote:This thread did not need resurrecting.

Now you tell us.

Create a rule banning thread resurrection without lawful authority or reasonable excuse. Perhaps forum members could be rationed to one resurrection a year.

While it's being considered, look at a similar restriction for starting polls.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:

Now you tell us.

Create a rule banning thread resurrection without lawful authority or reasonable excuse. Perhaps forum members could be rationed to one resurrection a year.

While it's being considered, look at a similar restriction for starting polls.

No need for more rules or restrictions that make work for the moderators
There is a lot of silly harmless stuff on here, +1, polls too, not just from me. Learnt things I never wanted to learn, +2 :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Oh yes it did.
Reevez

Post by Reevez »

Dog walkers with those ridiculous retractable leads that play out about 5 metres of cord, massive trip hazard
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Two incidents lately one with dogs one with horseriders.
One of the incidents I will not mention any details because I'm probably going to be being beaten up :)
very serious really well of course the cyclist is always at fault as that seems to be fashionable nowadays.
it's all about the person isn't it really, and the attitude they project, so it doesn't really matter what the person is doing it's just down to how they react to any type of criticism even when it's for their own good and safety.
I have for years have the same problem with walkers when I'm out walking and there is more than one of them And they hog the path.
Headless chickens a lot of them.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

There is a highway code consultation out at the moment.
On the section dealing with shared cycle/pedestrian paths, there is a bit on cycle users giving a warning, passing with care etc.
My response was the highway code revision was that it should include something on pedestrians should take care with dog leads re cyclists, especially in low light, and also not to use ear phones in such a manner they are un aware when people come up behind them.

https://action.cyclinguk.org/page/64572 ... ing.id=web

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... y-code.pdf

https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/K736D5/
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

I get cheesed off by horses churning up the footpaths, they get so muddy that only a horse can get through
Threatened to set the dogs on them more than once
GGGRRRRRRRRR
Peter F

Post by Peter F »

Given Si said everything that needed saying in the 3rd post back in 2013, there is nothing sensible to add.
CinnabarMoth

Post by CinnabarMoth »

Peter F wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 9:30pm Given Si said everything that needed saying in the 3rd post back in 2013, there is nothing sensible to add.
Back in 2013 were dog walkers filling plastic bags with their dogs poo and chucking them in the bushes?
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Seen lots of horse riders out walking their dogs on todays ride - all seemed very happy and friendly