Magic carpet ride?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Dave W

Magic carpet ride?

Post by Dave W »

I've dug my old Whyte PRST-1 out of the garage - it's thirteen years old now and still amazes me the way it rides. Front end could be better on smaller stutter bumps though.
It got me wondering ......... have bikes come on much in the last thirteen years? What bike would give me that beautiful smooth ride off road, allow me to ride in comfort all day, climb fairly well and be reletively light? Lightness isn't a prst-1 strong point.
I'm thinking - do I dabble with changing the front shock, do I try a 29er and maybe buy a new bike?

What's out there?
Si

Re: Magic carpet ride?

Post by Si »

<tangenting off...sorry>
Dunno about FS, but my hard tail is also about 13 years old. Still just as good as what's out there now....modern stuff might be a smidge lighter but at sub 23lb does that really matter that much? I think that the only thing that really needs upgrading to modern standards is the tyres....oh and the frame shape...much prefer the new high front end/low rear ends.
The other thing is wheel size...not sure if 29er would be better, but on my other bike (rigid SS, 17yrs old) it certainly wouldn't as this is the most manoeuvrable bike I've had.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Had a wander round the local bike shop today and really liked the look of a Whyte T129S Didn't feel like the weights have changed much over the years but frame shapes and gearing certainly have, bottom brackets are a bit different. Prices, surprisingly don't seem too far off what I was paying in 2000, just wish I earned as much as I did back then.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Well I bought a Whyte T129 so I can answer my own question. Yes things have changed a lot over the years - small front cogs (and only two). Huge range of gears at the back. Lockable derailier for wheel changes, tubeless tyre facility, dropper seat posts (not on mine). Modern bottom brackets like road bikes, tapered head tube, fantastic disc brakes, massive handlebars, maxle wheel release systems .................. and a really smooth ride.

Unfortunately, if anything the weight has increased :shock:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Dave W wrote: ...Unfortunately, if anything the weight has increased :shock:

well these modern bikes are more often made to withstand drop-offs etc. Since I'm not big on that kind of thing, I'm not shopping for a new MTB anytime soon; they don't seem to make a bike that I'd really like and what is available seems heavy, expensive, or both.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ScotchEgg

Post by ScotchEgg »

If you ever want to get rid of the Whyte, be sure and drop me a line!
ScotchEgg

Post by ScotchEgg »

They dont make em like they used to!
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

It's up for sale - I put a pic on here a few weeks ago. Might go on ebay when I get round to it.