Advise for aftermarket Hayes brake pads

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
mtbnoob

Advise for aftermarket Hayes brake pads

Postby mtbnoob » 13 Jan 2014, 10:23pm

I am a newbie in this forum and I would like to ask for advise about aftermarket brake pads for my Hayes brakes. I have stock pads now but they are worn and like the idea of testing some aftermarket pads. Any advise about brands?

Si

Re: Advise for aftermarket Hayes brake pads

Postby Si » 14 Jan 2014, 8:37am

welcome to the forum.
I don't have hayes brakes, but I'm a long term convert to sintered pads - I live in an area where the ground conditions are often formed of grinding paste and normal pads disappear pretty quick.

Milfred Cubicle

Postby Milfred Cubicle » 14 Jan 2014, 7:07pm

I'd recommend Superstar Components sintered pads. Much cheaper than Hayes, very good performance, with a 28 day return if you're not happy.

Vaya

Postby Vaya » 14 Jan 2014, 7:11pm

I use EBC Brake pads with my avids. So much nicer than the stock pads, not sure if they do pads for hayes though.

Neilo

Postby Neilo » 15 Jan 2014, 12:56pm

Milfred Cubicle wrote:I'd recommend Superstar Components sintered pads. Much cheaper than Hayes, very good performance, with a 28 day return if you're not happy.

+1
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.

mtbnoob

Postby mtbnoob » 15 Jan 2014, 3:53pm

I will check the SuperStars, but I have found also Discobrakes (with some good comments) and Rahox in youtube?. In the Rahox web they have the Hayes disc pads in semimetallic compound, any experience?
Last edited by mtbnoob on 13 Feb 2014, 10:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 12 Feb 2014, 8:56pm

what differences there are between different brands of sintered pads are unknown to me in detail but all transmit heat more readily into the brake fluid if you have hydro brakes. So if you are going to do long descents , sintered pads are arguably best in mechanical calipers. They certainly last longer than others esp in wet weather. Just be sure that your discs are not soft ones with 'resin pads only' written on them.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bikefayre

Postby Bikefayre » 10 Dec 2014, 2:57pm

Have been using pads from discobrakes.com for seven years now with no problem. At that time could not find a stockist for Tektro IO brakes and cannot fault them.