quiet here!!

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
orangechimp

quiet here!!

Post by orangechimp »

this section doesn't seem to be as busy as all the others, does this mean there are less mountain bikers in the CTC?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I think you're right. Or then again, maybe you're wrong

The trouble with this section, is that it's "specific" to one discipline. All the other sections are multi.

Anyway, this thread has added a bit more!
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

<Waves>

Going for a coffee inb town the other day I nipped into Smiths to get some reading matter to keep me occupied while supping the coffee. The only thing I could find that was of vague interest was Single Track World. First time I'd bought it for ages.

Well, it must have been good because it got me out on the MTB for what must be the first time since the HONC. And I must say I enjoyed it too. Didn't even get that wet or muddy. Might have to go again next week!

So, there is a little life on the CTC MTB front.
orangechimp

Post by orangechimp »

i on the other hand only have MTB's, i very rarely ride on the road, as i find it terribly boring, unless it's to get to trails. i even dare i say it, put my bike in my car to get to trails. i'm not new to cycling either, i was taken around scotland in a side car affixed to a tandem when i was very young, and i've been riding ever since.
there seems to be a big difference in peoples attitudes towards cycling here. there are people who cycling for them is a way of life, and then there are people who cycling is just a hobby, not just MTB's but road riding as well.
it also appears, that those people for whom it is a way of life tend to look down there noses at the other types of cyclists. i suppose if you're a Harry Potter fan it could be compared to being 'muggle born'. this of course is just my opinion, and it's only a conclusiion i've come to after reading many other topics in the other sections.
Si

Post by Si »

tend to look down there noses

Hmm, not too sure about that from what I've seen. You are always going to get people that seem insulted by anyone who wants to do things differently than them - the way many dyed in the wool roadies first viewed these new fangled MTB toy things, or the way many MTBers now view touring bikes as old and crusty. But on the whole, this forum seems accepting of many forms of bike and their use.

I have to say the the new style of MTBing that I see locally: riding round and round the same old trails, having to have trails built, not even doing trails but rather going to jump-spots, etc etc isn't my cup of tea. But that's not to say I've anything against anyone getting they fun that way. I've even spent freezing winter mornings helping to build trails when I could have been out riding. Just 'cos people choose to do things differently doesn't mean they look down on others.

Of course, a cyclist might look doiwn on someone who uses a car to do short journeys when feet/bike/public transport/etc could easily be used. But, hey, that's justified: if people want to pollute my air and clogg up my roads through sheer laziness and despite being offered alternatives then they deserve some distain :wink: .
downsman

Post by downsman »

This section of the forum is definitely quieter than the others, maybe it is more select :D

As the CTC is about touring cycling I wasn't surprised that the MTB section was quiet. I wonder how many people combine mountain bikes with touring though. One of the members here has a good page on the South Downs Way, and I'd like to try that. Off road touring would be the ideal ride for me I think.

I tend to find road riding a bit boring too, (except when car drivers make it rather more exciting than I would like). I do commute to work every day though, so I spend more time on road than off.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Don't forget there are forums that are probably more MTB specific, I go on shecycles.com and find a lot of the ladies are mtbers.
orangechimp

Post by orangechimp »

i do use other forums, MTB specific ones like UK MTB and Bike Radar, but i thought seeing as i was in the CTC and i get the magazine, i'd see what the forum was like. i just get the impression that if you use a cycle path wear a helmet or even drive a car, then you're not a proper cyclist. unfortunately i do all 3.
Si

Post by Si »

orangechimp wrote:i do use other forums, MTB specific ones like UK MTB and Bike Radar, but i thought seeing as i was in the CTC and i get the magazine, i'd see what the forum was like. i just get the impression that if you use a cycle path wear a helmet or even drive a car, then you're not a proper cyclist. unfortunately i do all 3.

I think that if you look around a little longer, you'll find that the vast majority of users on here do at least one of these, if not all of them. I certainly do.

It's sad that people seem to confuse a dislike of excessive car use with some mythical desire to banish all cars from the world and burn all drivers on a large pyre.
It's sad that people seem to confuse a dislike of helmet compulsion and pointless and illogical anicdote with a desire to stop people wearing helmets. What most want is choice.
It's sad that people seem to confuse a dislike of crap and dangerous cyclepaths with a desire to stop all use of cycle paths. What most want is choice.
orangechimp

Post by orangechimp »

i'll agree to disagree, that's just the way i see the CTC. maybe you have rose tinted specs? i have however found on occasion the same attitude whilst out riding, but i suppose it goes both ways sometimes, MTBers can be arrogant and ignorant as well.
Si

Post by Si »

Sure there are people with extreme attitudes in any group. I'm just surprised that you get the impression that being a driving, helmet wearing, path user that you think you wouldn't fit in on this forum or in the CTC generally.

Take my Section for instance: at least half of us wear helmets. Some people drive to the meeting places, some rides are car assisted, and rides often take in bits of cycle path when they are deemed worthy of using. Can't see how, from that, any one would suggest that we are all anti-car/path/helmet?

I'd be genuinely interested to know where you get the impression from - if it is an image that comes from the CTC then it could do with amending.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We've discussed the difference between a CYCLIST and SOMEONE WHO RIDES A BIKE before.

By definition, there ain't no difference.

I see what Orangechimp is getting at, he sees that there IS a difference!

I believe there isn't a difference, but as in anything in life there are small degrees of differences.

A cyclist that stays on cycle-ways and keeps off the roads and away from the noisy traffic is DIFFERENT from a cyclist that attacks the other road users head-on, and gives as good as he gets, whilst cycling on the main traffic-strewn roads.

So what?
Mick F. Cornwall
orangechimp

Post by orangechimp »

no i don't see that there is a difference that's the whole point, where as reading some posts in other sections there does seem to be some thinking along those lines. it just seems a bit elitist sometimes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, I got it wrong. Anyway, some may come across as elitist, just let them!

I don't like cycle tracks/lanes/paths. Please spend MY taxes on schools/hospitals/homeless/elderly etc. But that doesn't mean I feel that I don't want others to use them - just not me!
Mick F. Cornwall
professorlandslide

Post by professorlandslide »

Newbie etc... I ride off road when i'm not using my bike for commuting, but i didn't look in here initially as i don't ride an MTB...

Maybe it need to be re-named 'off road' or something...

I don't like purpose built tails either. Why is it called 'freeride' when you have to go to an artificial location and pay to get in (often) and ride on planks? What's free about that? Heading off down an interesting looking track armed with a water bottle, couple of bananas and an ordnance survey map, that's 'riding free' in my world...

PS, any 'rough stuff' rides in cornwall?