£750 to spend on a new hardtail MTB under bike4work scheme

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Andy_K

£750 to spend on a new hardtail MTB under bike4work scheme

Post by Andy_K »

i have a budget of £750 to buy a new MTB and would be really grateful for any advice on the following choices [2008 models]. i don't have a MTB and am struggling to reconcile the various choices, although it seems to come down to better gear on bike vs claimed better frame geometry

the bikes i'm considering are: -

-Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc [£750]
-Scott Scale 50 [£750]
-Trek 6700 Disc [£800]
-Marin B17 [£745]
-GT Avalanche Expert [£700]

if anyone has experience of any of the 2007 models or comments about a particular brand that would be fab

thanks

andy
downsman

Post by downsman »

I have a 2007 Rockhopper disc, and I have been really pleased with it. I was amazed how light it was, and so far I have only changed the grips. Even the saddle is pretty comfortable :)

I'm new to mountain biking, so I don't feel qualified to comment on handling, but it seems to climb well, and I'm not too terrified going down, so it's good so far!
Andy_K

Post by Andy_K »

Thanks for that. My 1st choice is the Comp Disc so it's good to hear that you are happy with Specialized. It'll make a nice change from going downhill on my very old Dawes bike & falling off a lot!
orangechimp

Post by orangechimp »

to be fair all very good bikes, but if you can get a test ride on as many as you can before you buy, that way you'll be sure about what you're buying.
ransos

Post by ransos »

Have a good look at the Giant range. They are always terrific value for money, and usually do very well in the magazine tests. I'm on my third! (2 mtbs and 1 road).
MTB rider

Post by MTB rider »

Have a look through BikeRadar - they have uploaded all their reviews for mtbikes from their mags (mountain bike rider, mbuk and others) and you can search dependent on how much you want to spend. you often get pretty good reviews. it's worth doing your research to get vfm. and always try before you buy.

How about a kona?
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

It's a pretty competitive market out there. On-One bikes are very well regarded and reviewed, and they do Bike2Work. The link goes to a page about singlespeed complete bikes but if you read on you will see that you can get a geared version as well.
orangechimp

Post by orangechimp »

no competition there i'd have the On One, and it's british, which has got to be a bonus, i know a couple of guys with them and they both rave about them, brilliant bikes.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

orangechimp wrote:no competition there i'd have the On One, and it's british, which has got to be a bonus, i know a couple of guys with them and they both rave about them, brilliant bikes.

Yes, though British in the sense of 'designed and assembled in Britain'.
orangechimp

Post by orangechimp »

close enough.

let us know what you went for in the end.