29 incher - all hype?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: 29 incher - all hype?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
flash wrote:I've been riding a 29+ since I bought it a month or so ago. Yea God's it's impessive.......

That's funny I have not been passed by any but have overtaken many 700c :lol:
Still stuck with 26 :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Si

Post by Si »

Not MTBs as such but I think that it bears comparison....the work/touring/club run bike that I used up to a couple of years ago has 26" wheels, it's now been largely superseded by a 700c bike which is fairly similar apart from wheel size. I take in lots of crappy, poor surfaced cycle paths and tracks, plus plenty of wiggly bits around barriers etc...so similar to MTB-lite, but made a little more interesting by the use of slick tyres.

My overall impression of the change is that the 700c rolls a lot better over the minor bumps and lumps, making it a tad faster and more comfortable. But it's much more effort to get it around the wiggly bits, I assume because of the extra length.

Thus I would say that it's a case of deciding which area your riding needs most help in. In my case, when I MTB, I don't have too much difficulty powering along on lumpy tracks, however I do find that the wiggly technical bits are more challenging, thus I would think that 26" suits me better. I've some friends who are technically very good but just not that fit - they seem to like 29ers.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:The Worlds biggest bicycle manufacturer agree with me as they dropped 29ers from their range some years ago.

Which is that? I thought it was Giant & they still do 29ers (example). Many have dropped 26" but I've not aware of any that have dropped 29".
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I was indeed thinking of Giant. Got the paper brochure here and not a single 29er in it, so I don't know what's going on there.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.