29 incher - all hype?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Trail Beater

Re: 29 incher - all hype?

Post by Trail Beater »

drossall wrote:I still think it's a good bike.

It could do with a rider upgrade though.

So do I ,it was(and still is) a trail breaker.The FSR sus system won many championships and probably will keep on doing so.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Thanks. I'm taking the Scouts out this week (and on a summer expedition), so I'll remember that when they comment on my ancient machine :D
wahoofish

Post by wahoofish »

Manc33 wrote:Not as much hype as all this "1x11" everyone is "upgrading" to.

Removing your outer and inner chainring is an "upgrade" these days is it? :shock:

Give me a shout when you want to slap me around the face some more.

Isn't it amazing that one of the main things that set a MTB apart from other bikes going way back, was that it had a triple chainset - but now people reckon you don't need that gear range?

Did the world magically flatten itself out? (yes that was a deliberate reference to Flat Earth). :P

People copy each other like monkeys. One guy goes to 1x11 they all have to. One guy gets a 29er they all have to. Everyone is being marketed to and doesn't even realize it.

Soon those guys will be back on doubles I bet then in ten years some clever geek that doesn't even know what a triple is (too young) will say "Imagine how good this would be if we added a chainring and made it have three chainrings".

Egyptians were more advanced than we are today.

Progress goes in cycles, but hopefully each time we get better at things.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
flash

Post by flash »

I've been riding a 29+ since I bought it a month or so ago. Yea God's it's impessive.......
dday

Post by dday »

I've had chance to try a lot of different bikes, and as others commented it's the bike that will make the biggest difference for your riding style. A better built wheel will outperform a cheaper or intro level wheel. And today you'll likely have a split between 650B and 29er. I've had both 26 and 29, and in rock gardens or technical rocky descents I'd take the 29er hands down. Climbing, it's a split unless I'm again in those rocky climbs with big steps, then the 29er. I've ridden both on tight twitchy trails and I'd not give either the nod, other than the 29er is a more modern bike.

If I were to twist my frame and have to start over, I'd look at the 650b for weight, but ultimately I'd grab the bike I preferred riding more than based on which wheel came with the build.

Both crash just as nicely. :wink:
Dr s

Post by Dr s »

Recent convert here after my old faithful Spark snapped. Picked up a niner jet carbon, its pretty steep for a 29er so it feels sprightly unlike some others I've tried.

Its a good bit of kit, I notice the incredible traction it has - presumably down to contact patch and longer chain stays. Climbs really well. What you do also notice is the size - its a big bike, high BB and just physically large. Bloody great though :-)
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Manc33 wrote:
Egyptians were more advanced than we are today.

You may well be right, and it looks like they stuck with 26''.

P1080714 (640x221).jpg
Nu-Fogey
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I was referring to pyramids we cannot build today.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
easthantsxc

Post by easthantsxc »

Its like everything, there are rides you'd take a 29er out on and rides you wouldn't

I went to cheaper end of the market as only wanted it for my (off road) commute to work. I settled for a Kona Lava Dome which at 14.9kg represents the heavier end of the spectrum! Hated it at first but have slowly grown to love it and find it coming out with me on most weekend rides whilst the Giant Anthem rarely gets ridden.

I think they are faster once you have them wound up to a certain speed and cadence but its harder getting them to that point. A 29er would be a lot better choice for rides such as the Downslink which is an old railway track, straight wide and smooth.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

easthantsxc wrote:... a lot better choice for rides such as the Downslink which is an old railway track, straight wide and smooth.
Mostly... :wink:
"42"
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

Manc33 wrote:I was referring to pyramids we cannot build today.

Are these the ones in Egypt , which we could build anytime, or the ones offa that youtube what have magic powers etc ?
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Manc33 wrote:I was referring to pyramids we cannot build today.

Nah, the Romans surpassed the Egyptians by far.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I found mine was less than satisfactory for UK conditions, as the extra wheel diameter was simply an opportunity for extra mud to stick and weight the machine down. Being a heavy sort I also found the wheels relatively flexi compared to the same spec in 26, which is inefficient and disconcerting.

I just did not gel with it, so sold it and built up an On One 650B, and it is much more satisfactory in these regards. The Worlds biggest bicycle manufacturer agree with me as they dropped 29ers from their range some years ago.

Having said all that, I suspect its a matter of taste and application. A lighter rider than me who lives in the dry climes of, say, California, would likely not experience the issues I did and might then benefit from the other potential attributes the size may bring.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
flash

Post by flash »

I did the Gravel Dash on Sunday, 100 miles and 8000 feet of climbing, mainly off road but v mixed terrain. I was v pleased I rode the 29er, my 26" would have made it even tougher......
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Having said all that, I suspect its a matter of taste and application. A lighter rider than me who lives in the dry climes of, say, California, would likely not experience the issues I did and might then benefit from the other potential attributes the size may bring.

That's about the size of it.

When I got a new(ish) MTB last year I avoided 29ers as I generally prefer small wheels (on the road I ride a Brom or a Moulton, and dislike 700c when I ride them), so that's taste.
And a lot of it is just getting used to stuff. I never found anything where my old 26" MTB was the problem, rather than the chap riding it.

I suspect the main point is selling us stuff, rather than huge differences in objective capability. If you like it you'll ride it and have fun, whatever the wheel size.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...