CTC - Maps website

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Snakes

CTC - Maps website

Post by Snakes »

Not sure how many of you guys/lasses have cast your eyes on the new CTC mapping website? www.ctc-maps.org.uk

I've had a good look through the info that's available now, and there's certainly a comprehensive selection, but almost 99% of it is road orientated....... : (

I can't say I've found it overly easy to use, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. If you've got an off-road epic to share, or just a short circular, perhaps concider adding it on.

Although it's cold this time of year, there's normally plenty of peeps out there doing a Xmas day/Boxing Day or News Year day ride. They're always of interest to people, not sure why, perhaps it's the likely hood that they'll incorporate a few more pints at the rides end... ; )

Anyway, remember, it's good to share!

Merry Crimbo and Happy New Year to all CTC Off-roaders!!!!
Si

Post by Si »

I had a go at putting one of my routes ( North Birmingham - Lichfield from my old site) on to it, but the maps don't show bridleways so found it a little difficult. And it didn't help that googlemaps hung my machine before I'd finished so I lost it all :roll:

Will try again at some furutre point when I get my other machine set up.
Snakes

Post by Snakes »

Si,

I know what you mean! If it used Explorer maps that'd be fantastic. That said though, I have found it's possible to place short routes on without mapping it out.

I've basically written the route and placed detail in the description. I've included details of the maps used, grid references and detail of any refreshment stops that stood out.

Perhaps the above's not the best way, but it's a start. Cold winter uninspiring days tend to be good to give it a dable.

Thanks for the reply Si. I hope a few more peeps add there thoughts!

Happy Mud riding, the Snake
orangechimp

Post by orangechimp »

i tried adding a route to bikely.com once and found it really difficult, i lost patience in the end, not much good with computers as it happens either.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

It is really impressive (though unfortunately at the moment the system refuses to recognise me as a member).

That said, my guess would be that easiest and most useful way to add mountain bike routes would be using a GPS GPX file - that way the route would be plotted even though the bridleway would not be shown on the map.

The cleverest mapping site is mapmyride.com which somehow manages to use google maps to produce a ride elevation profile as well.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

Snakes wrote:If it used Explorer maps that'd be fantastic.

Sadly the OS and Crown Copyright prevent that. If it was possible to get a quote from OS for a license to display their maps on the CTC website, you can bet that it would cost tens of thousands per annum, if not more.

andymiller wrote:The cleverest mapping site is mapmyride.com which somehow manages to use google maps to produce a ride elevation profile as well.

The CTC maps site does too (Google don't supply the data, but it's available from NASA) and I'm planning to add an indication of "hilliness" soon too. Chris Juden from CTC has a simple definition that he uses, and there's also the Audax UK system of Altitude Award Points that we should be able to calculate. Does anyone know of any "official" measures of hilliness or climb for off-road routes? The main thing is defining how much change in height you need before you count it as a climb: a too-small number can result in lots of climb for an undulating road that's basically level...

We'd love to get hold of the locations of bridelways and similar non-road routes. Sadly no-one knows where they all are, not even the OS. Perhaps one day each council will publish the information in a standard format (and not just on paper maps), but unless the law is changed the data will still be almost impossible to use due to Crown Copyright. At the moment, the best hope is that off-road riders with GPS recorders can combine to submit all the cycleable off-road routes.
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Fonant wrote:The CTC maps site does too (Google don't supply the data, but it's available from NASA) and I'm planning to add an indication of "hilliness" soon too. Chris Juden from CTC has a simple definition that he uses, and there's also the Audax UK system of Altitude Award Points that we should be able to calculate. Does anyone know of any "official" measures of hilliness or climb for off-road routes? The main thing is defining how much change in height you need before you count it as a climb: a too-small number can result in lots of climb for an undulating road that's basically level...

Fonant - well if I ever get the membership department to make me an actual as opposed to phantom, member I'll check it out.

I thought the usual approach was to quote the total amount of 'up' and the route length. Which does mean that a route with one really steep climb is ranked as comparable with one that goes up and down but I'm not sure there's a better measure - which of course is where the elevation profile comes in.
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

I have started this year post GPX file and tracklogs file with each ride report I post up South Lakes Group Website at http://www.southlakesgroup.org.uk/pastridesof2008.html which anyone is welcome to download if they wish!
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

I see the new CTC mapping site is mentioned and the comment that its mostly road based! I suppose to go a decent ride of say 40 miles off road might be a bit hard in England and I myself dont like off road cycling. Take a look at my two maps for Worcestershire, they both have short lengths of bridal paths. When I am riding the lanes at my dead slow speed I like to look around, something one best not do off road as one may take a eeerrrr....dive!
Si

Post by Si »

I suppose to go a decent ride of say 40 miles off road might be a bit hard in England

You'd be surprised! The bridleway network is quite extensive and can give you some real epics if you use country lanes to link them. Plus there is the real 'hard core' stuff in the Peaks, Dales, Moors, etc, Downs. Even the bit of sleepy Shropshire near me has a 70+ mile bridleway!
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

Like I said Si, off road cycling leaves me cold, I like to dwardle along looking at the countryside rolling past, then again every man his own thing.....
Si

Post by Si »

So do I..so I guess that makes me a rough-stuffer rather than an MTBer :wink: .
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

Even the bit of sleepy Shropshire near me has a 70+ mile bridleway!

Where's that then?
Si

Post by Si »

leftpoole

Re: CTC - Maps website

Post by leftpoole »

Hello,
I only ever ride on road. I have tried to use this 'free' facility without any success. Its beyond this avid computer users ability!
John