Fat Bikes

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
fixedfixer

Re: Fat Bikes

Post by fixedfixer »

Thanks. I'm a big fan of porridge and have it every day. Don't forget our other delights, Cullen skink, Arbroath Smokies and of course local to us in Aberdeen the Deep Fried Mars Bar invented in Stonehaven. It really does exist.

I'm rather partial to the Bara brith but being a Scot I cannee spell it. :lol:

Edit Googled spelling :wink:
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Me too!
Screenshot_20170208-211756.png

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Picked up a fat bike a month ago and having a great time with it. No sand dunes or snow, but river beds and rocky paths. I went out for a ride the other day with the intent of doing 45 min, I came back 90 min later. That's how fun they are.
I see many videos of people doing single track and paths. I don't see the point.
These things are made for off trail and paths that would scare a 4 X 4.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Blag

Post by Blag »

I have a cannondale fat caad. Great fun and in some sections faster than my full suss.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

starbug17 wrote:I am looking at getting my first bike in a VERY long time (don't ask how long it's embarrassing) and I am very interested in a fatbike partly for the looks (ex motorcyclist can see why I like the look of them) and I am wanting to go cycling around local off-road routes, down canals and along dirt tracks. I don't have much of a budget (£300 MAX I know it's not much but I honestly can't spare any more) and would like to know if anyone has any experience of the following bikes or can recommend me something for this budget??

http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/collec ... akes-black

I'm 6ft so would this frame be ok size wise? I do have a lil stomach due to putting on weight from a dodgy hip a few years back (am only 35 I hasten to add)

Any advice help or whatever would be great!!!

As Rehon2 said.
You may as well open the window and throw the £300 out. Really, I am looking at this
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ke-2015-17
and it's obviously built for the price point, it's not going to deal where is meant to be: completely off the tracks.

For instance, the wheels ought to be non-tubeless, which means that you are going to have 1/2kg only in the inner tube, good luck in moving the bike uphill :shock: also proper low-budget disk brakes won't work well, and the transmission is very high-geared so it's going to be a real struggle on any hill.

Unfortunately, when the road gets very rough and you don't want to at walking speed, you need a minimum of quality in an Mtb or FatBike. On the road or touring it's not such a big deal, as the conditions of riding aren't as extreme so your legs and handling skills can suffice for most. But on a grass and rocky hill you're not going up with a 38t chainring and 28t rear sprocket.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Just adding more agreement to the points above - a £300 Fatty is a waste of money. But on a more positive note, you will be able to get a really decent (perhaps second hand) 'normal' hardtail that will do anything asked of it!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.