Fat Bikes

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
firedfromthecircus

Re: Fat Bikes

Post by firedfromthecircus »

£300 will buy you a decent second hand mountain bike, or a slightly lower quality new one on discount, but still perfectly rideable. It will not buy you anything worth riding when it comes to fatbikes. Sorry if that's bad news, but that's just how it is.
And at 6' I reckon you should be looking at a 19" frame.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Hi Tensile frame, freewheel and solid axles. It's essentially a fat version of a £69.99 Tesco bike. At 22kg my tandem is lighter. Avoid.

If you want a well-priced fat bike, try Planet X.
CyclingSi

Post by CyclingSi »

A bit late to the conversation but I have owned a Genesis Caribou since June this year and I love it, the best thing I did was bin the tires and put a better set on, I have commuted on it on occasion and I use it for bivi riding, I actually sold my normal mountain bike it was that good, I enjoy riding it so much. It weighs less than my Surly Troll touring bike (not much though).
The Longitude from Genesis is amazing, I have been riding + size tires for a few years now and the benefits for myself far out strip the negative aspects, I think they are the future for mountain biking, the technology from these bikes is already filtering down to normal bikes making them better.
Drake

Post by Drake »

Over the last 6 months i've become increasingly interested in fat bikes.
At the moment I'm riding an old reconditioned 17" non suspension mtb, which I find very comfortable.
Not knowing much about these bikes,other than I want one, how do the frame sizes compare ?
ansell007

Post by ansell007 »

Never saw the point in fat bikes and thought it was a waste of money....Until I had a go on one and feel in love and now own one. They are great over roots, rock and mud and can go across terrain you would not think possible. That said I am not into mega fast descents or big jumps and prefer days out in the mountains finding my own single tracks. Great in the snow and sand as well.

Don't use my mountain bike any more now I am pure fat :)
flash

Post by flash »

I have 10-ish bikes including 2 Fatbikes, both Pugsleys, 1 X SS, the other fixed gear. I've had the purple one for 6 (?) years, I ride it a lot. I live in Bristol, so no beaches, apart from when it goes on holiday. I love them, they are a lot more versatile than people give them credit for. I rode my fixed one to Bath and back using the cycle track last Sunday, I tend to do that ride most weeks and last Sunday I was riding with a smile on my face....and I could sell them both tomorrow for what I paid for them, what's not to like???
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

Edited while eating humble pie.
Last edited by Trail Beater on 7 Jun 2016, 6:30am, edited 1 time in total.
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

reohn2 wrote:

BTW,IMO using Jesus as an exclamation/swear word,is likely to offend some Christian forum members.

Last edited by Trail Beater on 7 Jun 2016, 6:31am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Trail Beater wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

BTW,IMO using Jesus as an exclamation/swear word,is likely to offend some Christian forum members.

Jesus !!!!!!,do you think ?
I hope so

Why want to offend without good reason?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Trail Beater wrote:Fat Bikes will have a following,no doubt.
But they won't become popular and will become yesterday's news soon.
My hardtail takes a 2.5 /2.4 setup and tackles everything ,whereas Fat Bikes climb like Garden Snails.Not a very versatile bike at all.If you like novelty items,by all means buy one.I demo'd a Ritchey Commando in California (where else ?),and hated every second of it.Im ugly enough without adding to my self conscious.
They also look pretty ridiculous.

People will buy what suits them,if the fat bike fails as you say you'll be proven right but bear in mind they've been around for a few years now,not everyone's cup of tea but for those that have them and like them,they do the job intended for,sand and really deep gloop.
My MTB is on 29erx2.4's and I can't see me needing anything bigger though it will take a 3inch on the front.
They are ugly,but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Some folk who ride skinny 23's and 25's think the 35's and 38's I ride on the road look daft and can't see the need,but they're not me.
W H Auden
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

reohn2 wrote:
Trail Beater wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Jesus !!!!!!,do you think ?
I hope so

Why want to offend without good reason?

Last edited by Trail Beater on 7 Jun 2016, 6:32am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Trail Beater wrote:Because they should not feel offended by someone using their deities name to express emotion.
If they do ,then they need to stop being so shallow

I'd say it's the ones needing to use such dieties names to express their emotion as shallow.And add to that,unfeeling and lack of empathy for their fellow wo/man in the process.
W H Auden
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

reohn2 wrote:
Trail Beater wrote:Because they should not feel offended by someone using their deities name to express emotion.
If they do ,then they need to stop being so shallow

I'd say it's the ones needing to use such dieties names to express their emotion as shallow.And add to that,unfeeling and lack of empathy for their fellow wo/man in the process.

Last edited by Trail Beater on 7 Jun 2016, 6:33am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Trail Beater wrote:I don't normally use any deities names anyway.
That to me,would be like using the name Mickey Mouse as a show of verbal emotions/ exasperation .
In other words fictional characters.
If people are offended by one word,then they really need to change to another church less anally retentive.

As an atheist or at the very most agnostic.
IMHO there's no need for the use of deities names typed out to express 'emotion',following that up by the claims you are making about Christians,which are frankly childish in the extreme.
If you've no respect for such deities,the least you could do is have respect for those that have respect for them and hold them dear.
It's simple respect for humanity
W H Auden
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

Confession time.
There could be a big part to play in MTB'ing for the Fat Bike.
Spoke to someone recently who had just got back from South America on a tour.Riding a Fat Bike no less.
He said it tore through some pretty harsh conditions,and he will be using it in South East Asia.
Having known and MTB'ed with him for a lot of years,the guy is a local trail God .
So if he says it's good ,it must be :D
Someone has actually just posted a Mukluk,and yeah.
I get it now.
When yer wrong,yer wrong. :lol:
Posts have been edited accordingly .