Fat Bikes

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Jughead

Fat Bikes

Post by Jughead »

Went into my LBS to enquire about the Genesis version. Jesus, first time i've ever had a shop put me off spending money. Are they just a fad? I really fancy one but would hate to spend a grand to end up sitttimg in the corner. Ive already got a Croix de Fer so should I bother. Any 'mature' owners out there?
Heltor Chasca

Re: Fat Bikes

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Any sand dunes or snow near you? I think they look great fun but I take your pragmatic point of view as a 'mature' approach. I'm tight so 2 bikes will suffice for now [emoji49]
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Fat bikes are for seriously deep mud/snow/sand due to the big 'footprint' of the 4inch :shock: wide tyres.
However there is a halfway house with the Genesis Longitude which will take a 3inch(still :shock: IMO) but comes with 2.4inch tyres fitted.
Due to my not riding on the beach or getting enough snow to worry about sinking into uncontrolably,or anything more than 3 or 4inches of mud.I needn't go any bigger than the 2.4's on my GL,they float n roll over just about any off road terrain likely to be encountered.
A great bike :D

BTW,IMO using Jesus as an exclamation/swear word,is likely to offend some Christian forum members.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Halfords are coming out with their own fat bike

http://halfordsblog.com/2015/06/25/vood ... -fat-bike/

I really need a fat bike. Not just for mud,snow, beaches but in case there is a zombie invasion.....or a meteorite strike and dinosaurs.....and other reasons :oops: ..... The only thing that puts me off buying a bike from Halfords is that i used them once and i am still traumatized 6 years on from the experience :cry:

[youtube]YnYF4qACNw0[/youtube]
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

The bike will be fat, just like me. A match made in heaven :roll:
hamish

Post by hamish »

I have a Surly Pugsley - probably the first production fat bike model. I bought one after using one in work for beach surveys and sampling.

I Bought it for beach riding (I can use about 3 miles of beach as part of my commute) and as a general trail riding MTB. What I found was that it is the most comfortable bike I have owned. Not just the soft ride but the fit and geometry.

I now use it for all kinds of riding.... Commuting, days out on bridle ways or across the hills in Mid Wales, touring on rough tracks with a mix of country lanes, bike packing, etc, etc. it's a great in town too. It is unbeatable in snow and sand.

We did the Cairngorm loop offroad last November. It was ideal for that. It's a dream on green lanes and rough gravel like the route around the Clarwen Resevoir.

With the right tires it is not as slow as people think on the road. On rough or soft surfaces it is faster than a normal bike.

In short I love my Pugsley and it is probably my favourite bike. While the range and diversity of fat bikes is increasing, the Pug remains the most practical and usefull and adaptable of fat bikes.

If you want any more info then just ask.
hamish

Post by hamish »

Also... I'd you want a 29+ too a Pugsley can take 29+ wheels and tyres... Google Krampug for more info.

The Longitude has changed for 2016.. It has 650b+ tyres and wheels now. That may be good. Have a look at the Genesis blog for more info. Not sure about an alloy fork but they know more than me about such things.

These guys use fat bikes for touring...http://www.mikehowarth.co.uk/bolivian-backlog-viva-bolivia/
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hamish
After reading your posts on Fats I checked out the weights of 3.8 and 4inch tyres which are upwards of 1.3kg :shock: which isn't really a surprise as they're so big,rim weights aren't too bad though with,Rabbit hole's @ 600g+ being reasonable.
Off road on the terrain they're designed for that shouldn't be a problem but commuting on less extreme surfaces I think I'd find such weights to be a bit of a drag,literally.
W H Auden
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

+1 for the Genesis Longitude.
I love mine.
I'm running it as it's normal spec but i've put racks and mudguards on it. Was planning to tour on it but have decided against it.
I have a Thorn Sherpa and that's better for heavy touring in my opinion and has 26" wheels which i feel is also better.
The Gen Longitude is great for bike packing and also is so much fun for a day out on virtually all terrain which it seems to just sail over easily.
It's also surprisingly quick and light.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bikerwaser wrote:.......The Gen Longitude is great for bike packing and also is so much fun for a day out on virtually all terrain which it seems to just sail over easily.
It's also surprisingly quick and light.

I agree,I'm also surprised how nibble it is both on and off road.
I get the feeling I bought a classic,and Genesis are making a huge mistake with the changes to it for next(this?) year.
W H Auden
hamish

Post by hamish »

reohn2 wrote:Hamish
After reading your posts on Fats I checked out the weights of 3.8 and 4inch tyres which are upwards of 1.3kg :shock: which isn't really a surprise as they're so big,rim weights aren't too bad though with,Rabbit hole's @ 600g+ being reasonable.
Off road on the terrain they're designed for that shouldn't be a problem but commuting on less extreme surfaces I think I'd find such weights to be a bit of a drag,literally.

I know..... but with a mixed terrain commute of blacktop cycle path, followed by beach followed by a bit of gravel the fat bike is great. Then again, when I commute without riding the beach due to tide or time constraints, I really don't feel the bike to be too heavy. I am probably a bit odd though and the ride is only 11miles. The best bit is when you get a SW gale and drop onto the beach and get blown for miles.... On the way home on those windy days I avoid the beach and a gale force headwind.

Without overstating it... I think what I mean is that the weight and drag of the bike is not half as bad as people seem to expect. For the right route It all adds up to a great way to cycle. For example... I rode Abergavenny to Neath - some 50 to 60 miles, 90% off road. It was a superb day and I feel that the fatbike was perfect for the job. I would not use a fat bike to ride the road equivalent of the same route.

I agree about 29+. I nearly went for a longitude as half way house and now they have gone! That's a shame as it was nearly perfect. One thing Surly do seem to do is keep producing models that work. Genesis have given Surly a run for their money on a few bikes- only to veer off in another direction.

Cass Gilbert sums fat bike touring up quite nicely here: http://www.whileoutriding.com/bike-talk/touring-in-south-america-on-a-fat-bike
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hamish wrote:I know..... but with a mixed terrain commute of blacktop cycle path, followed by beach followed by a bit of gravel the fat bike is great. Then again, when I commute without riding the beach due to tide or time constraints, I really don't feel the bike to be too heavy. I am probably a bit odd though and the ride is only 11miles. The best bit is when you get a SW gale and drop onto the beach and get blown for miles.... On the way home on those windy days I avoid the beach and a gale force headwind.

Without overstating it... I think what I mean is that the weight and drag of the bike is not half as bad as people seem to expect. For the right route It all adds up to a great way to cycle. For example... I rode Abergavenny to Neath - some 50 to 60 miles, 90% off road. It was a superb day and I feel that the fatbike was perfect for the job. I would not use a fat bike to ride the road equivalent of the same route.

The old saying 'If it feels good do it' springs readily to mind.
If you're happy being fat that's all that matters :D

I agree about 29+. I nearly went for a longitude as half way house and now they have gone! That's a shame as it was nearly perfect. One thing Surly do seem to do is keep producing models that work. Genesis have given Surly a run for their money on a few bikes- only to veer off in another direction.

Weird innit,you get the formula right,and I do believe they did with the Longitude,then drop it after only a years production,there had to be a lot more production in it than that,surely.
There's only a couple of small tweeks I'd make to it for a perfect bike.
It's strange change in course for Genesis,I can't get my head around their decision it's a retrograde step they'll regret IMHO :? .
I'm glad I got one when I did :D

Cass Gilbert sums fat bike touring up quite nicely here: http://www.whileoutriding.com/bike-talk/touring-in-south-america-on-a-fat-bike

Interesting account,with some great photos :)
W H Auden
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

A good blog. I like his quote, "Don't forget that fat tyres slow you down...In a good way."

I'm guilty in that most things to me in life end up being a race which has taken it's toll in all sorts of ways. I am enjoying learning to slow up........b
starbug17

Post by starbug17 »

I am looking at getting my first bike in a VERY long time (don't ask how long it's embarrassing) and I am very interested in a fatbike partly for the looks (ex motorcyclist can see why I like the look of them) and I am wanting to go cycling around local off-road routes, down canals and along dirt tracks. I don't have much of a budget (£300 MAX I know it's not much but I honestly can't spare any more) and would like to know if anyone has any experience of the following bikes or can recommend me something for this budget??

http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/collec ... akes-black

I'm 6ft so would this frame be ok size wise? I do have a lil stomach due to putting on weight from a dodgy hip a few years back (am only 35 I hasten to add)

Any advice help or whatever would be great!!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

starbug17
That's a very cheap Fatbike that I'd be inclined to shy away from TBH.
W H Auden