One week cycle tour- any recommendations?

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
Johnsherrott1

One week cycle tour- any recommendations?

Postby Johnsherrott1 » 25 Sep 2016, 11:50am

Hi All,

I'm hoping to plan a week away next year.
Can anyone recommend some nice one week rides around the UK or Europe?

Thanks,

John.

steady eddy

Re: One week cycle tour- any recommendations?

Postby steady eddy » 27 Sep 2016, 11:12am

If you don't want big distances between towns then a week meandering around Zeeland in the south of the Netherlands is really good and easy from Harwich by ferry. We loved it.
Staying closer to (my) home what about a week around Norfolk and Suffolk - quiet, mainly flat roads, beautiful scenery and coastline, Adnams beer, Norwich - "what's not to like" as they say.
Happy to advise on either in more detail if you pm me.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 27 Sep 2016, 12:01pm

What do you want to include in your tour? Beautiful scenery? Romantic ruins? Good food? Breweries? distilleries? Art Museums? WWII sites?

I tend to pick places by things I want to see as much as anything else. Though I have gotten a few tours by tacking them onto a business trip.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

scoot

Postby scoot » 13 Oct 2016, 3:40pm

Hi John,

Depends upon where you live or how far you want to travel.

I am currently planning my first week tour around the inland sea area of Holland.

Main reasons:
So many cycle routes - looks like I can spend most of my time away from roads
Holland is geared up for cyclists
The Dutch are so nice and most speak English
As much as I like a good hill - there are no hills :)
Lovely scenery, towns and rivers not to mention the odd windmill or 2 :)
I only live 20 miles from Harwich so very easy to get there

Currently I ma looking at 2 routes; the first around the inland sea and the second up the west side and down the north sea coast. Both are about 250 to 300 miles but with the cycle network I can change route easily to take in extra if I have the legs and time or go straight (ish) if the legs are grumbling or the wind in my face. I can be quite windy due to being flat.

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Paul
Two wheels good, 4 wheels bad

peter8

Postby peter8 » 15 Oct 2016, 7:43am

In this country, I found this great route around Cornwall on the Pannier cc website:

https://routes.pannier.cc/route/culinary-cornwall-tour

It visits some amazing destinations, particularly around Portscatho and the Roseland peninsula.

There is also an account of the writers' trip on the Pannier CC website, although at times it does
rather read like an advertisement for the restaurants, etc. which the pair visit.

Also, there are some significant errors in the GPX track but bring a couple of maps with you or
download the OS maps to your phone.

I did this in June and can heartily recommend it, as well as most of their eating choices.

Beware though, the first stage from Penzance is extremely hilly!

gordonyoung

Postby gordonyoung » 15 Oct 2016, 8:25pm

I think the River Maine in Germany is one of the best tours, Fly to Frankfurt (with your bikes if you want ) - very cycle friendly airport and then cycle to Bamberg - pretty town with good beer. Do it in late August and finish up with the beer festival. Take the train back to Frankfurt and fly home. It is what cycling should be like everywhere!

Milfred Cubicle

Postby Milfred Cubicle » 23 Oct 2016, 8:28pm

If it's the U.K you fancy, Wester Ross/Lochaber makes a brilliant base. Not many shops, mobile phone coverage is patchy, but the scenery is hard to beat. Add in that between ferry times even the main roads can be deserted...you've got a recipe for a cracking tour.

EwaHolender

Postby EwaHolender » 11 Jan 2017, 6:10am

I do a one week trip to Poland each summer and have loved the experience - there's mountains with good climbs in the south or flat lake country in the north, great food, cheap but decent accommodation, beautiful scenery, lots of flights, quiet country roads (especially out east) and a lot of history to see along the way. Happy to send you some ideas for routes (this year will be my eighth trip!) if that helps. We've also biked across the border to Slovakia and the Czech Republic, also very pretty.

hamster

Postby hamster » 23 Jan 2017, 1:50pm

Combining with ferries, start at Portsmouth, ferry to either St Malo or Cherbourg, finish at Caen, back to Portsmouth. Lots of D Day stuff, brilliant food (seafood and dairy), attractive towns.

mjr

Postby mjr » 23 Jan 2017, 6:41pm

steady eddy wrote:If you don't want big distances between towns then a week meandering around Zeeland in the south of the Netherlands is really good and easy from Harwich by ferry. We loved it.
Staying closer to (my) home what about a week around Norfolk and Suffolk - quiet, mainly flat roads, beautiful scenery and coastline, Adnams beer, Norwich - "what's not to like" as they say.

Both of these are great ideas in my opinion! We have some hills in Norfolk but they're mostly not big or long. Suffolk has a few short sharp shocks but it's not too hard to avoid them if you plan. Where's best to go maybe depends on what time of year as there's always things happening and some of them are well worth seeing - check www.visitwestnorfolk.com www.visitnorwich.co.uk and the related sites (why we have to have one per borough I don't know!).

Plus we did these four days around Holland and Utrecht and they were brilliant. We went in early May, so Keukenhof gardens near Lisse were in bloom at the end of day one. We also visited Kinderdijk windmill park on day four. With a few more days, I think detours to Amsterdam centre and Utrecht centre would be worth adding. You can probably see ways to shorten days three and four - day three it's not worth it because it's nice to have a few hills after so long on the flat, but day four would be better shorter. http://cycle.travel/map/journey/31123 http://cycle.travel/map/journey/31120 http://cycle.travel/map/journey/31121 http://cycle.travel/map/journey/31122
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

chris3vic

Postby chris3vic » 1 Feb 2017, 11:17am

Got to add to the already recommended Holland. Easy to get over on the ferry, unless you live a long way from a port I suppose, and it's great when you're there. Really beautiful routes wherever you go, lovely towns such as Utrecht, Breda, Groningen, Amstelveen, Harlem etc.

It's flat, easy to navigate and geared up for cyclists, which means you can really eat up the miles day by day.

atlas_shrugged

Postby atlas_shrugged » 24 Feb 2017, 9:47am

From Hook of Holland take the Eurovelo 15 cycling route down the Rhine to Mannheim in Germany. From 9-11 June there is a big celebration funded by the German government in celebration of the 200 year aniversary of the von Drais cycling thingy.

jpc1003

Postby jpc1003 » 26 Feb 2017, 8:48am

my faves so far....

Island hopping up the Hebrides, Oban to Oban via Vatersay (awesome wild camping), Barra, S Uist, Benbecula, N Uist, Berneray, Harris, Skye, Moidart & Morvern, Mull, & Oban. Magical route, bit hilly on the mainland but only pushed once, lots of amazing campsites (esp Harris & Mull), decent sized coop on every island, watch for midges in August, best tea and cake shop, anywhere, on Skye. Can extend by heading up to Lewis, and across to Ullapool, if you're fitter than me, which you probably are. Have you heard of the North Coast 500? an amazing route through the Highlands for the fitter, more experienced rider, look it up on the internet.

Holland. Rotterdam, Den Haag, Haarlem, Alkmaar, Hoorn, Enkhuizen, 4 masted sailing ship to Urk (takes bikes), Zwolle, Enschede, Vreden (dipping your toe in Germany), Arnhem, Utrecht, Den Haag, Rotterdam. Awesome route, every day different scenery, living off beer, cheese, chips & frite saus.Cycling infrastructure is excellent, though occasionally got lost due to road works and signs/ paths disappearing. I hear south Holland, heading for Maarstrict is also nice but i've not done that yet.

Normandy. St Malo to Caen, via Portsmouth. Lots of different routes, rural/ pastoral/ medieval inland, and d-day on the coast, lots of museums and old tanks etc if thats your thing, my dad was at d-day on an mtb (motor torpedo boat, not mountain bike!) so found the whole thing fascinating.

Hope this helps, and good luck with whatever you do, i'm planning the same thing today for late June, early july. So many options!

Jason

Kataflam

Postby Kataflam » 26 Feb 2017, 12:30pm

Hi John,
I just read that you would go cycling for a week.
What do you think of Hungary in June?
I am just arranging a tour around a lake called Balaton and looking for cycling mates.
Cheers,
Peter

softlips

Postby softlips » 26 Feb 2017, 9:05pm

Scottish North Coast 500?

Return to “People, Events & Rides”