Bristol cyclists ... anybody remember Jack?

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
Kahu

Bristol cyclists ... anybody remember Jack?

Postby Kahu » 30 Jul 2017, 5:34pm

Back in the 1970's there was an old guy who bought and sold used cycle components, he lived in a ground floor flat somewhere in the Redland/Cotham area, I'm pretty sure his name was Jack, back then he was well known throughout Bristol and the south west, nowadays nobody seems to remember him, anybody know anything about this interesting chap?
Last edited by Kahu on 12 Sep 2017, 6:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

whoof

Re: Bristol cyclists ... anybody remember Jack?

Postby whoof » 2 Aug 2017, 2:50pm

Kahu wrote:Back in the 1970's there was an old guy who bought and sold used cycle components, the lived in a ground floor flat somewhere in the Redland/Cotham area, I'm pretty sure his name was Jack, back then he was well known throughout Bristol and the south west, nowadays nobody seems to remember him, anybody know anything about this interesting chap?

Bristol Old Timers sometimes have in excess of 30 people turn up to an outing. I'm sure if you contacted them someone might have some information.

http://btotc.btck.co.uk/

Kahu

Postby Kahu » 3 Aug 2017, 4:14pm

Good idea ... many of them would have been keen club cyclists back in 1970's Bristol, thanks for the suggestion.

buryman

Postby buryman » 3 Aug 2017, 5:57pm

I used to ride with Bristol CTC camping section in the early 70s. Jack Cotton was an "elder statesman" of the club but I don't remember him dealing in parts. There was a chap called Arthur Comer who did so and I think that he lived in Redland.

Redvee

Postby Redvee » 4 Aug 2017, 2:06am

For some reason Pope Cycles in Bemmie is coming to mind for this guy. I used to work in the cycle trade dealing with shops in Bristol and further afield and a guy from Popes started coming to us twice a month and I think his name was Jack but he passed away after dealing with us for 18 months. I think he was in his 60s then which was around 20 years ago.

Christine

Postby Christine » 9 Sep 2017, 7:42pm

Jack Cotton never dealt in bikes or parts & Arthur Comer lived in Kingswood & was a trike man.
My dad had an 'old fashioned' bike shop in the 50's & into the 60's & would take in old bikes to do up in exchange for 'new' ones or reconditioned ones but he was between Staple Hill & Downend, although his name was Jo a lot of people called him Jack.
I have never heard of anyone in the Redhill/Cotham area but it was the other side of Bristol to us, I was in the Camping section of Bristol DA & then clevedon & District RC.

Kahu

Postby Kahu » 12 Sep 2017, 6:03pm

Thanks for your replies, the chap I'm referring to almost certainly lived in Cotham.
Christine, I lived in the Downend area back in the 1960's, I remember a shop in North St that sold secondhand bikes, there was also a bike shop at Cleeve Wood, my dad purchased my first full size bike there, a Hercules Balmoral, I wish I could remember the name of the shop.

Christine

Postby Christine » 12 Nov 2017, 7:36pm

The shop in North Street was the secondhand shop, it always had a lot of secondhand bikes outside.
I think I remember a shop in Cleeve Wood Road, but I used to go to Arthur Overbury's which I think came under St Paul's ?
I lived in Downend also in the 60's.

buryman

Postby buryman » 12 Nov 2017, 8:03pm

but I used to go to Arthur Overbury's which I think came under St Paul's ?

That would have been Arthur Powell at Overbury's. The LBS of choice for the camping section in the early 70s.

Redvee

Postby Redvee » 13 Nov 2017, 12:59am

buryman wrote:
but I used to go to Arthur Overbury's which I think came under St Paul's ?

That would have been Arthur Powell at Overbury's. The LBS of choice for the camping section in the early 70s.

Another shop that has long gone. Shutters came down ten years ago and have never risen since, not even as a different shop. I walked past a year ago and peered through the shutters and there were still second hand bikes in the shop.