York Rally 2018: 23-24th June

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
mjr

Re: York Rally 2018: 23-24th June

Postby mjr » 4 Apr 2018, 1:15pm

pete75 wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:That pose...

Little lad in the orange top does it best.......

The others do look like literal helmet nazi salutes. I wish that image didn't keep getting used. It really puts me off going.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 4 Apr 2018, 1:28pm

Sorry you don't like the image - we did worry a bit about the 'salute' aspect but assumed it was clear they were doing the Usain Bolt victory pose (it was taken in 2016, not long before the Olympics). The helmet aspect had honestly never occurred to me. We struggle to find images which are of decent quality, somewhat diverse and which show families at the Rally and, critically, which we have permission to use.

Mmm, maybe I'd best look for another main image for the website, if people really think it's a problem.
Last edited by bikepete on 4 Apr 2018, 2:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 4 Apr 2018, 1:30pm

A presentation on the issue of cycle helmets may be worthwhile including. There is some interesting finding emerging over the last couple of years.

I live near York and could give a presentation.

Thanks Steady Rider - be very happy to take you up on that. We'll be in touch shortly. Sorting out the talks schedule is now high on the to do list - any other offers (especially for touring talks) are very welcome. We should have a large TV (rather than projector) and a PA system/amplifier to make presentations a bit easier this year.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Apr 2018, 4:35am

bikepete wrote:Helmets are compulsory for the racing events at the Rally (not our rules), otherwise they are definitely not compulsory.
Fit of childrens' helmets is a matter for their parents.

Looks like the helmets are not sitting correctly on the children's heads
If helmets are depicted they really should be worn correctly IMHO
The Watercress Line New Alresford, Hampshire, Britain's premier steam railway
Thomas & Santa events, great for children of all ages

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Apr 2018, 4:36am

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:That pose...

Little lad in the orange top does it best.......

The others do look like literal helmet nazi salutes. I wish that image didn't keep getting used. It really puts me off going.

Me too

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 5 Apr 2018, 8:10am

OK, thanks for all the feedback everyone.

We won't use that image again and I've swapped it out on this thread and on the Rally website... there are still some smaller versions of it on the 2018 leaflet artwork etc. but it's not so easy to change those. I'll also get it changed on Facebook and Twitter.

As mentioned above, we thought it was clearly the Usain Bolt 'bolting' pose and the helmets issue didn't even cross our minds - it is just children and a family having fun in the great outdoors with the York Rally as a backdrop (pity there was nothing happening on the grasstrack arena, mind). But message received that others see it differently.

Please do (if/when the sun comes out!) look out for positive photo opportunities at this year's Rally which we could use in future - all submissions are most welcome. Or if you have any from recent years which you think would work well and which you've not yet sent us, please do email them to us via publicity@yorkrally.org.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Apr 2018, 5:12pm

+1 for the York Rally, had some good times there many years ago

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 16 Apr 2018, 1:50pm

There's just under two weeks to go until our tough, scenic and tasty York Rally Sportive on Sunday 29th April 2018. There are still some spaces left so sign up now... and tell your mates!

All the details and maps etc. are at: http://yorkrally.org/sportive/ and you can join online via British Cycling: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/168077/York-Rally-Sportive#entry

There's 100k and 140k routes to choose from, with or without the ridiculously steep Rosedale Chimney Bank, but all routes definitely include amazing North York Moors scenery plus a warm welcome and superb spreads of cake from our all-volunteer team...

Please do sign up ahead of time to guarantee your place, help our planning, and not least to enjoy the lower entry cost - it's an excellent value £25 in advance, or £30 on the day. All funds raised go to support the revived York Rally: http://yorkrally.org

Hope we'll see you there!