York Rally 2018: 23-24th June

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
bikepete

Re: York Rally 2018: 23-24th June

Postby bikepete » 7 Jun 2018, 5:08pm

Join the cycling poetry workshop at the 2018 Rally!

We're delighted that for the first time ever (as far as we know!) the York Rally 2018 will feature a cycling poetry workshop, hosted by award-winning poet Bernie Cullen, who beat over 1000 other entries to win last year's Yorkshire Literature Festival/YorkMix.com Poetry Competition.

Bernie was previously director of York's bicycle recycling charity Bikerescue, and is now Poet in Residence at the Yorkshire Arboretum near Castle Howard.

Bernie’s poetry workshop will take place at 5PM on Saturday 23rd, in the Rally's talks tent on the Knavesmire in York. No need to book – just turn up! It will include readings of some of Bernie’s own cycling poetry, and the opportunity to create your own. Pens and paper will be provided – just bring your imagination…

Like almost all of the activities and rides at the York Rally (23-24 June 2018), entry and participation is completely free of charge! There’s free parking for day visitors too, off Knavesmire Road in York.

See here: http://yorkrally.org/talks-and-performances/ for a full list of talks and live music performances!

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 7 Jun 2018, 5:22pm

2018 music and talks

• For 2018 we’re delighted to welcome The Sonics Rock and Roll Band to the Rally! Three keen cyclists, they will play two sets on Saturday morning, from 10:30am and 12 noon, in the main central area.
  • Legendary folk band The Foresters will also play their traditional session from 7.30pm in the main marquee.

Saturday talks:

• 1 pm: Electric bikes Q&A: Find out all about new electric-assist technology with John from the Electric Transport Shop in York. A tailwind for your bike!
  • 2 pm: A new type of rubber tyre: Richard Adams of Gecko Rubber introduces a new UK-made puncture proof tyre made from pure recyclable cellular rubber, and explains how e-bikes and bike sharing are shaking up the tyre market
  • 5 pm: Bicycle poetry workshop: Join Bernie Cullen, former Director of York Bikerescue and now Poet in Residence at Yorkshire Arboretum, for a relaxed poetry workshop, including readings of her poems and the opportunity to write your own. Paper and pens provided – just bring your imagination!
  • 6 pm: Tips from touring Europe: Experienced touring cyclist and author of the “…on a bike called Reggie” books Andrew Sykes offers hard-won advice from many miles in the saddle all across Europe.

Sunday talks:

• 12 pm: The bicycle: history and future: Former owner of component maker Middleburn, Darin Palmer, muses on the development of bicycles and cycling from pre-history to modern times, and the vital role bikes must play in our future.
  • 1 pm: Flying Gates and framebuilding: Q&A: Liz Colebrook of Beaumont Bicycle welcomes your questions on the iconic Flying Gate design, her work as an artisan framebuilder, and offers insights into cycle ergonomics and comfort.
  • 2 pm: Electric Bikes Q&A: Find out all about the new electric-assist technology with John from the Electric Transport Shop in York. A tailwind for your bike!

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 8 Jun 2018, 6:28pm

2018 Show Programme is off to print - click to enlarge!

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Jun 2018, 2:58pm

Do all participants wear helmets, is it compulsory?
Alternative facts welcome .. Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 9 Jun 2018, 3:02pm

Do all participants wear helmets, is it compulsory?

No, as I answered some months ago to your almost identical question.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Jun 2018, 3:16pm

It would really be much better to have at least some riders without helmets on the cover of the programme, why did you not change it?

People seeing the picture might think they are compulsory, or at least "de rigeur"

Hope there is still time to change the picture

The earlier small picture seemed to show children wearing helmets incorrectly, tilted back. Could be more dangerous than no helmet

I do hope the salute that could be misinterpreted is no longer being used
Alternative facts welcome .. Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 9 Jun 2018, 3:33pm

Sorry, no time, it has gone to print, and I've already spent too many hours (of my unpaid volunteer time) trawling through for a better image. I'd have preferred one with some younger people/families in it, personally, but that was simply the best I could find which is well lit, sharp, fits the cover and at least includes both men and women who seem to be enjoying themselves.

Please do turn up at the Rally yourself and you will see plenty of riders with and without helmets - I don't choose to wear one myself - and we will bear your comments in mind when we choose images for next year. I try to take suitable pics at the Rally myself every year, but it's just pot luck which images I can get in the windows of opportunity when the sun's out and I'm not called away to do something else. So submissions from Rally-goers are always very welcome.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Jun 2018, 3:44pm

Thanks for the info

Many fora members (I am a minor on this) have opinions about helmets and depictions of cycling. In your position I might have tried to take some photos myself, or there are free images in the www

Sorry I will not be there, would like to spend a week in York sometime (3 days at the NRM). Last visit was 1989 I think

Looking forward to reading about the Bicycling Bishop, poetry etc etc, +1!

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 9 Jun 2018, 5:28pm

2018 York Rally badges are now available! Click to enlarge... will be on sale at the Rally or by mail order at any time.

Steady rider

Postby Steady rider » 9 Jun 2018, 8:18pm

Weather forecast looks good the ground leading up to the rally, helps with all the tents and equipment.

Looking for details of the general rides on the Saturday, any handy links to the free to take part in rides?

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 9 Jun 2018, 8:28pm

Yes indeed, the rides list has just been updated:

http://yorkrally.org/rides-at-the-rally/

Aargh - just remembered your kind offer for a talk, Steady Rider, from earlier in this thread. Many apologies, I completely forgot. Could have maybe squeezed it in, too, but now the show programme has gone to print it's probably best to leave it - could we take you up on it next year maybe?

Steady rider

Postby Steady rider » 10 Jun 2018, 7:35pm

Thanks for the link, yes next year may be fine, all being well.

Littgull

Postby Littgull » 16 Jun 2018, 1:11pm

Scotrail announce cycle coaches on west coast lines
https://www.scotsman.com/news/trans...i ... -1-4755533

Now all we need is the remaining UK train operators to be COMPELLED to follow.

Come on Cycling UK, get your act together and put some pressure on the powers that be. Your approach is far to benign and lightweight!

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 20 Jun 2018, 12:53pm

Just a note that the weather forecast is really looking good for the Rally - settled high pressure :-) so basically sunny and no rain!

There's still time (until Thursday night) to make an online campsite pitch booking - http://yorkrally.org/visitor-information/campsite-bookings/ - it's slightly cheaper than on the day, especially if you have several people on site. It may now be too late to site you with friends or clubmates, but our campsite team will do their best...

We can't wait to see everyone there!

pigman

Postby pigman » 25 Jun 2018, 11:48am

thanks to everyone involved in putting the show on.
had a cracking day out yesterday
long may it continue