Roberts Rendezvous Cycle Rally - 13 June 2018 London

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
jahknob

Roberts Rendezvous Cycle Rally - 13 June 2018 London

Postby jahknob » 25 Apr 2018, 12:41am

SPREAD THE NEWS!

Roberts Rendezvous Cycle Rally
Guildhall Courtyard, City of London EC2V 7HH
Wed 13 June 4-7pm
It's FREE!

Come on a Roberts or Roberts-built bike - celebrate the brand, meet former staff (Winston Vaz, Adrian Parry, Brian Phillips etc), compare cycles, enter your Roberts for prizes - more to be announced! Please follow Roberts Cycles on twitter for updates.

More here

pedalsheep

Re: Roberts Rendezvous Cycle Rally - 13 June 2018 London

Postby pedalsheep » 26 Apr 2018, 1:37pm

Thanks for the info. I'd certainly like to go if I could get a cheap enough day return to London. It might even be enough to persuade me to give Twitter a try!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

gaz

Postby gaz » 26 Apr 2018, 2:34pm

jahknob wrote:More here

Hand wash only. Do not iron.

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 26 Apr 2018, 5:10pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'

patthebike

Postby patthebike » 29 Apr 2018, 11:23am

The link doesn't work.

Try this one: https://lcc.org.uk/articles/city-cyclin ... -june-2018

Hobbs1951

Postby Hobbs1951 » 2 May 2018, 11:02am

Already had an invite to this, I'll be taking one of my very early Roberts, and perhaps a Roberts built Geoffrey Butler.

Classic sketch - brilliant !

John.

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 14 Jun 2018, 5:57pm

Did anyone go to this and if so how was it? I would have liked to go but it just didn't work out.

jahknob

Postby jahknob » 14 Jun 2018, 9:16pm

As the "deputy" organiser, I thought the event went well. The weather was fine, the location elegant and expansive.

All in all, there were probably 60+ people, around 50 with Roberts bikes of various vintages. After a general meet and greet, the builders - Adrian, Geoff and Winston, the mechanic Brian and previous mechanic Adam, plus myself as webmaster did a short Q&A. Maurice Burton, former UK Junior sprint champion, spoke of his relationship to Charlie Roberts, and the audience chipped in various other famous names for whom Roberts had built frames (each member of Status Quo, for example!).

Then the bikes (and owners) lined up in approximate (bike) age order and the three builders judged the oldest, best preserved, builder's choice, best paint job, and most unusual Roberts. Prizes were the newly "minted" Roberts keyrings, turned in to medals, plus a cycling book.

After a good deal more chatter, the hardcore bike geeks retired to the local pub for a drink and more chat. A mock-up of the new design for the Roberts Cycles jersey was shown at the event, and the keyrings were already made up and available for sale (for more details, have a look at the Roberts Cycles website). Adrian Parry announced that he is on the verge of opening up his new steel frame-building workshop in deepest south London.

A much fuller review of the event and pictures will eventually show up on the London Cycling Campaign website.

j.

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 14 Jun 2018, 10:00pm

Thank you for that jahknob. It sounds like it was a great evening and I wish I could have gone but not so easy from the Isle of Wight.

Oldskoolwizzard

Postby Oldskoolwizzard » 26 May 2019, 4:08pm

Hi there, I want to ask jahknob if he knows when the next Roberts rendezvous is?

I have recently come into possession of a vintage Charlie Roberts frame, from my great uncle who sadly passed away, so I decided to clean up the old frame and forks and build it up and ride it from the many parts he had at his home.
Now fully built I wanted to do a Roberts rendezvous.

Any information would be great, thanks wizz.
DSC_2846.JPG

Here's the finished article, I'm a very proud Roberts owner.

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 26 May 2019, 5:25pm

That's a lovely frame you have there.
I understand that the next Roberts rendezvous is planned for sometime in 2020.

jahknob

Postby jahknob » 26 May 2019, 11:00pm

Pedalsheep is correct; we're hoping that we'll be organising something in 2020. Please follow @RobertsCycles on twitter or send an email to the address on the Roberts Cycles website home page, and I can send you out a notice of our next event, whenever and whatever that will be.
Enjoy riding the bike - looks like a beauty!

Des49

Postby Des49 » 28 May 2019, 10:30pm

Unfortunately I never saw this thread last year, but probably would not have been able to attend.

Will keep an eye out for the next event.

Tempted by the cycling jersey too!

As it happens I am currently getting Winston Vaz to make up a new set of forks for my White Spider with lowrider bosses and mudguard mounts, the originals are too flexy when I clamp a rack to them. He most probably built the frame up originally.

jahknob

Postby jahknob » 30 May 2019, 8:05pm

Des,

If you respond via email using the address on the Roberts Website, asking for information, there are still a few jerseys left, in limited sizes (small to medium, one very largish, off the top of my head.. Maybe one small in long-sleeved too?), plus lots of stainless steel keyrings. You can also follow @RobertsCycles on twitter to get notification of future events (or email and agree to let Roberts keep your address on file for occcasional event notifications)

Oldskoolwizzard

Postby Oldskoolwizzard » 12 Jun 2019, 3:39pm

jahknob wrote:Pedalsheep is correct; we're hoping that we'll be organising something in 2020. Please follow @RobertsCycles on twitter or send an email to the address on the Roberts Cycles website home page, and I can send you out a notice of our next event, whenever and whatever that will be.
Enjoy riding the bike - looks like a beauty!

Hi there again, unfortunately I've been to the website and can't find a contact email address, just a phone number for Gloucester Road. :?
Any chance of you telling me the contact address? Or if I leave my address can you forward me the details maybe?

d_dowdall73@msn.com

And yes the Roberts turned out well, components it has...
Bh duralite front hub
Mp special lightweight steel front rim
Sturmey archer four speed rear hub(locked into one gear)
Mp special lightweight steel rear rim
Stronglight crank arms
Chater-Lea CL 48 Tooth chain ring
Nolicattaneo pedals
Kmc gold coloured single gear chain
Weinman brakes front and rear
Cinellis stem
Pz racing pursuit bar's
Raleigh aero levers
Clarks zero g brake wires and housing
Vintage leather bar wrap
Brooks racing saddle
Brooks saddle bag
Suspension seat post (for comfort)

From the frame number it appears to be approximately Aug/Sept 1969 Charlie Roberts frame and forks with campagnolo dropouts.

Really enjoyed the build, and loving the results, Very proud to own a Roberts.