Mildenhall Cycling Festival Cycle Jumble 25th August 2018

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
ElaineB

Mildenhall Cycling Festival Cycle Jumble 25th August 2018

Postby ElaineB » 19 Aug 2018, 8:14pm

West Row Village Hall, Chapel Rd, West Row. Bury St. Edmunds, IP28 8NY
Just west of Mildenhall, Suffolk.
6.30 pm start until dark!
This is a great cycle jumble, lots of bargains.
£1 entry.
Come earlier and watch the grass track racing.
Refreshments available.
See you there.

atlas_shrugged

Re: Mildenhall Cycling Festival Cycle Jumble 25th August 2018

Postby atlas_shrugged » 25 Aug 2018, 11:58am

Thanks for posting I nearly missed this. I will be along to the Mildenhall Cycling festival this afternoon as it is a great little event.

Why I especially like this event is because it is very egalitarian and it especially encourages young riders. This has included what have turned out to be some of our greatest female track riders evaahhh. Cycling UK could do more to support these type of events. So no apologies for this whinge at @Cycling UK:

<Cycling UK Whinge ON>
Why do you not do more to promote events like the Mildenhall Cycling Festival in your newsletter? These events do so much to encourage young cyclists (including females). Instead the newsletter and magazine is obsessed with 'Wimin' cycling this and 'Wimin' cycling that. I would like to see Cycling UK do much more to support events like:
Mildenhall Cycling Festival
York Cycling Rally
Human Power World Championships (held in Betteshanger this year)
</Cycling UK Whinge OFF>

I do understand that to be a leader of a charity nowadays it is necessary to be a right-on virtue signaller. But when taken to extremes this can harm the very people you are trying to help. Please see @Venezuela for more details.

hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Postby hoarder » 27 Aug 2018, 7:49am

There's a pretty full video feature on the Bentrideronline website covering the WHPV Championship at Bettshanger

https://youtu.be/oxEGy0Wq13I?t=1

and a rather too brief interview with Mike Burrows half-way through

https://youtu.be/oxEGy0Wq13I?t=2728

Having returned from Mildenhall Rally yesterday (where trikes and recumbent cycles don't even feature in the programme), it was refreshing to watch.

I'm impressed at the speeds achieved: e.g.

WHPVA 1-hr_Criterium - Starting 03:30PM Jul 14, 2018 distance: 65.58 miles CHARLES HENRY, Peregrin on Birk 1:02:50 = 62.61 Miles per hour

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 27 Aug 2018, 8:14am

atlas_shrugged wrote:<Cycling UK Whinge ON>
Why do you not do more to promote events like the Mildenhall Cycling Festival in your newsletter? These events do so much to encourage young cyclists (including females). Instead the newsletter and magazine is obsessed with 'Wimin' cycling this and 'Wimin' cycling that. I would like to see Cycling UK do much more to support events like:
Mildenhall Cycling Festival
York Cycling Rally
Human Power World Championships (held in Betteshanger this year)
</Cycling UK Whinge OFF>

You won't get anything like an official answer on this forum, but none of those events are directly associated with Cycling UK, so they get exactly as much advertising space as they pay for.

Mildenhall has always been an independent event, run by Mildenhall Cycling Club. And yes, it's a great, family-friendly event, and furthermore gave many British pros their first taste of racing, on the grass track as youngsters.

It is already promoted by BC, Cycling UK, and most cycling clubs in the East of England and/or within a couple of hours drive. It is well attended. Does it need more promotion?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

ElaineB

Postby ElaineB » 27 Aug 2018, 8:49am

I don’t think the previous comment on Mildenhall Cycling Festival wanted the event ‘advertised’ in Cycle mag but exposure would be nice, after all what is Cycling Uk for unless it is happy to give time and space to events like this?
Last edited by ElaineB on 27 Aug 2018, 4:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 27 Aug 2018, 1:41pm

Vorpal wrote: It is already promoted by BC, Cycling UK, and most cycling clubs in the East of England and/or within a couple of hours drive. It is well attended. Does it need more promotion?

I dunno. I went on Saturday afternoon and it seemed quieter than it has been in most other years.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 28 Aug 2018, 5:10pm

Brucey wrote:
Vorpal wrote: It is already promoted by BC, Cycling UK, and most cycling clubs in the East of England and/or within a couple of hours drive. It is well attended. Does it need more promotion?

I dunno. I went on Saturday afternoon and it seemed quieter than it has been in most other years.

cheers

I went on the Sunday. It seems to have lost momentum big style since it's year off then Saturday only the following year. There were virtually no trade stalls now, so it looks like it's in a bit of a vicious circle there, less stalls, less people and so on. It's a shame, it's been a long time favourite of many of us. Did get a set of immaculate Dia-Compe friction shifters for 12 quid, so I'm still happy, but the days of it supplying half my kit seem to be gone for now.

The Audaxes are great too.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 28 Aug 2018, 5:22pm

I had a wonderful weekend camping in the lightweight section. Met a lot of friends I only see once or twice a year, that alone for me makes it a worthwhile event. The lovely onsite community centre was open all day for refreshments and until late in the evening with a bar.

Racing was excellent especially on Sunday in the rain, it made for some exciting moments. Yes I know the trade show did not attract many sellers but as at York Rally getting sellers to attend in the current internet age, appears to be very difficult.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

PH

Postby PH » 28 Aug 2018, 5:40pm

Brucey wrote:

cheers

Maybe people were put off by the weather. Camping was sold out at least a week in advance, a change of plan meant I was unexpectedly free this weekend, but couldn't get a place.

ElaineB

Postby ElaineB » 28 Aug 2018, 5:45pm

I did the cycle jumble on Saturday and did very well. The marquee was full of ‘keen’ buyers who found themselves lots of bargains.
The atmosphere was great and all the hard work that the Mildenhall CC put in over the weekend is a credit to the club.
One must not forget that they have moved sites and are building up after their year off.
I really believe that the next few years will go from strength to strength, there were so many youngsters taking part that hopefully they will be the future for the Festival.
If Cycling Uk would do an article for them then the exposure would be an enormous help.
I too saw old friends from all different clubs, the social side of the event, along with the racing, audaxes, cycle jumble and trade fair will hopefully keep the event going for many years to come.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 28 Aug 2018, 6:18pm

I haven't been since I moved, but when I lived in the UK, I loved the old incarnation, and so did my kids.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom