Chiltern Classic 2018 Sportive

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
Abbots

Chiltern Classic 2018 Sportive

Postby Abbots » 31 Aug 2018, 2:29pm

Hi, Never ridden a sportive before and may make the Chiltern classic my first one. Do many people enter these events alone and ride alone. Not a fast rider, just a steady plod but a little concerned about turning up alone. All the sportive pics you see are groups and friends riding together. Advise please.

Vorpal

Re: Chiltern Classic 2018 Sportive

Postby Vorpal » 31 Aug 2018, 2:42pm

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, I do it. I've occasionally made friends on such rides.

They use pictures of friends cycling together because that makes it seem like a fun social event. That doesn't mean all of the participants do it that way.

Good luck and enjoy the ride :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

mjr

Postby mjr » 31 Aug 2018, 2:57pm

I've only ridden sportives in groups but I don't see any reason not to ride alone. Informal groups will probably form on the day, but be prepared to be alone a lot just in case.

I no longer ride sportives because most of them are now under British Cycling sportive rules which exclude riders who don't conform to their racing prejudices: if you ride a recumbent, an e-bike or without a helmet (those are probably the three biggest exclusions the last time I checked), then you may not ride. However, the Chiltern one is organised for Wiggle by UK Cycling Events, whose rules are https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/terms/ - they explicitly do allow e-bikes (bizarrely only e-bike riders are required to ride legally) and ban non-helmets, but leave recumbents unclear behind a catch-all "We reserve the right to refuse entry to the event to anyone with inappropriate equipment or clothing". Check carefully that you are allowed to ride before you hand over any money.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

plasterjfe

Postby plasterjfe » 31 Aug 2018, 6:54pm

Sure you be ok. Most people (in my experience) that have the same interest in taking part in an event will chatbto anyone and everyone. I certainly do. Im doing the wiggle tomorrow.