Cycle clubs or groups near Arnside in Cumbria

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
GeorgeDR

Cycle clubs or groups near Arnside in Cumbria

Postby GeorgeDR » 1 Oct 2018, 2:57pm

Hello-Irecently relocated to Arnside in Cumbria.I would like to get out with some people to find my way round the area. What local cycle groups are there? Nearest clubs appear to be Kendal or Lancaster but perhaps there are others or "unofficial" groups? I am not interested in racing but enjoy 40-50m mile cycles. Any suggestions welcome. thanks.

Tangled Metal

Re: Cycle clubs or groups near Arnside in Cumbria

Postby Tangled Metal » 1 Oct 2018, 3:45pm

SLACC is a green organisation that also promotes cycle use in Kendal. Contact them perhaps.

Used to be the Kendal and District cycle scene group. Kind of affiliated to SLACC. An informal and casual group. Evening rides very slow and steady. Weekend rides might be longer and faster to meet your needs.

BTW, without causing offence, the people most involved with then when I used to ride occasionally with them were retirees. I reckon you might make good contacts through them if they still operate even if their official rides aren't to your liking. There's all sorts too. One guy seemed to come out on a different bike every time I went out with them so there's kit monsters in it too.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 14 Oct 2018, 11:54am

GeorgeDR wrote:Hello-Irecently relocated to Arnside in Cumbria.I would like to get out with some people to find my way round the area. What local cycle groups are there? Nearest clubs appear to be Kendal or Lancaster but perhaps there are others or "unofficial" groups? I am not interested in racing but enjoy 40-50m mile cycles. Any suggestions welcome. thanks.

Balatedly...

The Lune RCC has many rides in the week from Lancaster, often going to Arnside. They have a facebook page where the 9am Sunday ride list for winter may just be available this week.

There are also runs on Wednesday and Friday from Halton Rowing Club, starting at 10am. These tend to be slower than the Sunday run as there are many retirees.

There are also chain gangs on Tuesday and Thursday, weather permitting.

Cugel

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 15 Oct 2018, 10:36am

There is also Kent Valley RC. :-
http://www.kentvalley.co.uk
Leave getting old to others.

roger

Postby roger » 18 Oct 2018, 10:01am

Met a rider from Carr Bank at last year's Birthday Rides. From my memory of living round there it not a very big place so you should be able to find him.
FWIW he has a dog which he walks(ed) up Green Lane in Storth past my old bungalow.