Lincolnshire is not flat!

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
pete75

Re: Lincolnshire is not flat!

Postby pete75 » 20 Nov 2018, 5:13pm

Mick F wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Are the churches mostly atop the hills, or at the bottom?
It varies, but one or the other mainly.

But some are only half way up so they're neither up nor down :wink:

Hobbs1951

Postby Hobbs1951 » 20 Nov 2018, 5:28pm

Hobbs1951 wrote:
John Betjeman's favourite county after Cornwall.

John.

Apologies, was being too upmarket for the thread.

John.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Nov 2018, 5:37pm

Upmarket, downmarket?

Larkin wrote a poem about the Humber Bridge but did he ever cross it?
Swerving East, from rich industrial shadows
And traffic all night north

Maybe he should have swerved a bit sooner
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Hobbs1951

Postby Hobbs1951 » 20 Nov 2018, 6:00pm

brynpoeth wrote:Larkin wrote a poem about the Humber Bridge but did he ever cross it?

The Humber Bridge didn't open until the summer of 1981, longest bridge of it's type in the world at the time. Larkin's poem about the bridge, Bridge for the Living - uncollected if I recall, be surprised if you've read it.

John.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Nov 2018, 6:36pm

Hobbs1951 wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Larkin wrote a poem about the Humber Bridge but did he ever cross it?

The Humber Bridge didn't open until the summer of 1981, longest bridge of it's type in the world at the time. Larkin's poem about the bridge, Bridge for the Living - uncollected if I recall, be surprised if you've read it.

John.

Be surprised! I have 'Philip Larkin Collected Poems' published by FSG New York, according to the cover text he 'had only a small number of poems published during his lifetime', is that true? Are there many different editions of 'collected poems'?

"Naturally the Foundation will Bear Your Expenses" is one of my favourites, rhythm, nonsense

Apparently he wrote "Bridge for the Living" in 1975, in good time in case the bridge opened early?

Bp (suburban but not simple)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Hobbs1951

Postby Hobbs1951 » 20 Nov 2018, 7:11pm

So far off topic.

However I have the Faber edition of Larkin's Collected, edited with an introduction by Anthony Thwaite. First published in 1988, I bought my copy on the 6th September 1988 (receipt for £12.95 still in the book).

John.

N.B wrote and published are rarely the same thing - esp'y with Larkin.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 21 Nov 2018, 9:51am

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:
John Betjeman's favourite county after Cornwall.

John.

Apologies, was being too upmarket for the thread.

John.

I take it you're referring to the mention of Betjeman. A somewhat elitist and snobbish comment.
Having said that my copy of Betjeman's Lincolnshire is reasonably well read.

Hobbs1951

Postby Hobbs1951 » 21 Nov 2018, 10:22am

pete75 wrote:I take it you're referring to the mention of Betjeman. A somewhat elitist and snobbish comment.
Having said that my copy of Betjeman's Lincolnshire is reasonably well read.

I mentioned Betjeman, and you've such a chip on your shoulder ! The comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek one, I'm so glad that your copy of Betjeman's Lincolnshire* is - at least - reasonably well read.

John.

*assume you refer to the Betjeman Society book not the famous Shell Guide - comment not too elitist for you ?

pete75

Postby pete75 » 21 Nov 2018, 11:14am

duplicate
Last edited by pete75 on 21 Nov 2018, 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 21 Nov 2018, 11:16am

Hobbs1951 wrote:I mentioned Betjeman, and you've such a chip on your shoulder ! The comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek one, I'm so glad that your copy of Betjeman's Lincolnshire* is - at least - reasonably well read.

John.

*assume you refer to the Betjeman Society book not the famous Shell Guide - comment not too elitist for you ?

I was referring to your "Apologies, was being too upmarket for the thread." as being elitist and snobbish not the mention of Betjeman.

The Shell Guide was written by Henry Thorold and Jack Yates not Betjeman.

Hobbs1951

Postby Hobbs1951 » 21 Nov 2018, 11:46am

pete75 wrote:The Shell Guide was written by Henry Thorold and Jack Yates not Betjeman.

You can't help yourself, did I say the Shell Guide was written by Betjeman ?

I've had a first edition for over 30 years.

John.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 21 Nov 2018, 12:20pm

Hobbs1951 wrote:
pete75 wrote:The Shell Guide was written by Henry Thorold and Jack Yates not Betjeman.

You can't help yourself, did I say the Shell Guide was written by Betjeman ?

I've had a first edition for over 30 years.

John.

Hmmmm
You wrote this
Hobbs1951 wrote: I'm so glad that your copy of Betjeman's Lincolnshire* is - at least - reasonably well read.

John.

I mention Betjeman's Lincolnshire and that leads to some assumption in your mind that I'm referring to that and not the Shell Guide. Your assumption indicates you think someone referring to the one could be referring to the other. If you think the shell guide could be called Betjeman's Lincolnshire that implies authorship not editorship.
Length of ownership of a book doesn't concern me but obviously does to you else you wouldn't have mentioned it. I've still got the copy an aunt bought me for a Christmas present in 1965 when I was 12.

Hobbs1951

Postby Hobbs1951 » 21 Nov 2018, 1:23pm

You are an unfriendly individual, and you failed to answer my question.

Any assumption is purely yours. And the only connection between the two books in question - is the Betjeman one. Firstly the Shell Guides are intimately associated with Betjeman (under his and John Piper's general editorship), and finished in 1984, and the other a coffee table book aimed at the casual reader - admittedly with a few interesting anecdotes and published 22 years after his death.

The light industry around Betjeman has grown exponentially since 1984.

Length of ownership* is of interest, as it possibly displays a long term interest and curiousity for a subject - perhaps not in your case.

John.

*whether a book or bicycle

pete75

Postby pete75 » 21 Nov 2018, 7:41pm

Hobbs1951 wrote:You are an unfriendly individual, and you failed to answer my question.

Any assumption is purely yours. And the only connection between the two books in question - is the Betjeman one. Firstly the Shell Guides are intimately associated with Betjeman (under his and John Piper's general editorship), and finished in 1984, and the other a coffee table book aimed at the casual reader - admittedly with a few interesting anecdotes and published 22 years after his death.

The light industry around Betjeman has grown exponentially since 1984.

Length of ownership* is of interest, as it possibly displays a long term interest and curiousity for a subject - perhaps not in your case.

John.

*whether a book or bicycle

I know Betjeman edited the shell guides that's why I mentioned it in the post I'm assuming you're responding to.
Am well aware of the history of the Shell Guides and have about 20 of them. I particularly like their high quality black and white photography. The Shell Guides didn't finish in 1984 - I have the Shell Guide to West Yorkshire published in 2012 by the Heritage Shell Guide Trust a charitable body chaired by the Bishop of Wakefield. It grew out of the publication in 2001 of A Shell Guide to North Yorkshire. This had been dropped when Shell withdrew funding but was published after a donation from the Millennium fund. One of the aims of the Trust is to promote the art of black and white photography. Laudable in my opinion.

I wouldn't call Betjeman's Lincolnshire a coffee table book though I guess that's just another of your passive aggressive taunts. Coffee table books are large format and generally copiously illustrated which that volume certainly isn't. It contains many interesting essays written by members of the Lincolnshire branch of the Betjeman Society and others. One reviewer described it as scholarly , not a description usually applied to coffee table books.

Failing to answer your question - which one?
You come across not overly friendly individual with an apparent high regard for yourself and certainly give the impression you're a bit of a know it all.

I'm disregarding the puerile jibe in your last sentence.

djrikki

Postby djrikki » 23 Nov 2018, 9:00am

Hobbs1951 wrote:
djrikki wrote:Funnily enough I am thinkling of heading to Cornwall for a week over Christmas; weather-permitting. :lol:

Funnily enough I shall be in the Tamar then and then down to Penzance - visiting friends in both locations.

John.

If I spot another cyclist out on the roads busy reading a book of poems then, funnily enough, I will expect it to be you. :lol: