Wayfarer Centenary Weekend 29-31 March 2019

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
jackt

Wayfarer Centenary Weekend 29-31 March 2019

Postby jackt » 14 Dec 2018, 11:48am

I thought I'd draw forum members attention to this weekend of rides and lantern slides that I'm helping to organise, to mark the centenary of W.M. Robinson aka Wayfarer's famous 'over the top' crossing of the Berwyns in north east Wales. 29-31 March 2019

The weekend is based at the West Arms in Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog, the inn where Wayfarer stayed the night before setting off into the snow.

The rides are all turn-up-and-go affairs, there'll be a small exhibition in the West Arms and two lantern lectures. The dinner on the Saturday night does require booking in advance.

I'm helping to organise the event along with members of the Rough Stuff Fellowship, the Anfield Bicycle Club and the Veteran Cycle Club. It should be a fun, inclusive weekend.

PDF flyer

Wayfarer Centenary web flyer-p1.jpg

Wayfarer Centenary web flyer-p2.jpg
Author of Lost Lanes, Lost Lanes Wales and Lost Lanes West. Presents The Bike Show podcast.

pedalsheep

Re: Wayfarer Centenary Weekend 29-31 March 2019

Postby pedalsheep » 18 Dec 2018, 8:52pm

Thanks for the info.
I presume the lantern lectures are with Wayfarer's original lantern slides. I'd certainly like to see them, I really enjoy reading his articles in old magazines. Sounds like a great weekend (although I am hopeless at rough stuff cycling, I'd probably be walking all the way!)
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

jackt

Postby jackt » 8 Jan 2019, 12:41pm

There'll be a wide range of slides shown. Wayfarer himself was not a photographer, as I understand it. He used slides taken by others including his riding companions.

Many of these can be found online at the National Cycle Archive:

https://warwick.ac.uk/services/library/ ... gital/nca/

Some of those will likely feature in David Birchall's talk on the Saturday, while the Friday evening slide show is being presented by the archivist of the Rough Stuff Fellowship and will be mostly 1950s onwards.

Hope to see you there.
Author of Lost Lanes, Lost Lanes Wales and Lost Lanes West. Presents The Bike Show podcast.

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 8 Jan 2019, 5:31pm

Thanks for the link Jack, some great stuff there. Also currently very much enjoying your 'Lost Lanes Wales' which Santa brought me.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 20 Jan 2019, 2:56pm

This looks very appealing. :)

(apart from the logistics ... anyone have a spare couch in the area?!)

landellais

Postby landellais » 26 Jan 2019, 2:18pm

I shall look forward to this weekend. My first crossing of 'The Wayfarer' was in the mid '60's when I joined my local cycling club. This ride was always done between November and March, after the racing season had finished. We all had saddlebags, lights, mudguards, 27- 11/4 tyres, sandwiches and drinks and walking shoes and spare socks. There was a 'survival' hut up there,with tins of food under the seating, where we would stop to eat our sandwiches and gain some respite from the elements. There was frequently rain, mud, and snow. I recall one clubmate losing his shoe as we walked through deep mud. In those days there were no drivers of 4 wheel drive vehicles, or enduro motorbikes crossing. A highlight was signing the book at the memorial then dropping down to the Corwen road and riding home. My last crossing was in the '80's. I attach some images of the day.
Image Attachments
Wayfarer062.jpg

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 26 Jan 2019, 5:32pm

Those are the worst mountain-bikes I think I've ever seen.

;-)

Looks like I'm in - my (now) favourite local AUK has booked us a cottage fairly close.

(the hosting pub looks lovely, but the rooms ain't cheap!)

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 26 Jan 2019, 6:47pm

Great photos landellais!
Unfortunately it doesn't look like I will be able to make it but look forward to hearing about it from those who do.