50, 100, 150 and 300 km audaxes from Newby Wiske, North Yorkshire - Saturday 27th April 2019

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
Dean

50, 100, 150 and 300 km audaxes from Newby Wiske, North Yorkshire - Saturday 27th April 2019

Postby Dean » 4 Mar 2019, 10:35pm

...Or Newby Wiske Festival of Cycling, as I'm tempted to re-brand it next year (for brevity, if nothing else).

But we do have an array of events to suit almost all tastes, all starting from a mate's farm in the very pretty village of Newby Wiske. It's an easy ride from Northallerton and Thirsk railway stations, and there is free-ish* camping for anyone travelling from farther afield.

The longest ride is the 300 km Beyond the Dales We Know, which is a big old circuit of the Dales, Howgills and Pennines. It tends to avoids the really brutal passes, but it's still the Dales, so you can expect hills in the middle, but a flat start and easy finish.

The two middle rides are the 100-mile Moor Gravel Forever and the 100-km Don't Keep to the Road. These are definitely my favourites - hilly, semi-offroad circuits of the North Yorks Moors with evil hills, offroad climbs and descents, abandoned railways, hidden valleys, forestry trails and pubs.

ImageImage

And Overground Underground is a ride I was sort-of bullied into organising, as a friend's friend's daughter was keen to ride an organised event. It fits the brief - not much climbing, lovely traffic-free lanes, and a decent cafe at the arboretum (you don't need to pay the entry fee for the arboretum, but you're not allowed to look at any trees). Plus a personal favourite, a technically private bridge over the Swale back to the finish, which we have have the landowner's permission to use for the ride.

MVIMG_20190302_131439.small.jpg

There'll be food at the start and finish, and a barbecue on Sunday morning for anyone staying over for the massive after-ride party. Did I mention there's an after-ride party? The best bit is the expressions on the faces of the later finishers, when they're greeted by cheers and the sound of cowbells. There doesn't seem to be any way for me to stop that, but I'll sure there'll be a great atmosphere again.

*I say free-ish - as Mike is letting us use his farm for nowt, the proceeds go to his chosen charity of the Alzheimer's Society, and I'll almost certainly wave a charity tin in the vague direction of anyone who is camping.