Velo Midlands

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
Wanlock Dod

Re: Velo Midlands

Postby Wanlock Dod » 14 May 2019, 7:51am

Every year we hear about how the London Marathon results in a sudden and dramatic improvement in air quality for the day of the event, I wonder if this event in Birmingham had a similar effect?

This page has air quality data for the last 7 days fairly near the event start, and oddly enough the only day without a distinct peak is Sunday. I have no idea whether or not that is normal for Sundays in and around Birmingham, although checking the same page in a week or so should reveal whether or not the air is similarly clean next Sunday.

Is this another positive benefit of the event?

Lance Dopestrong

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 14 May 2019, 9:20am

I heard from a friend of mine last night, who was volunteering on another pit stop that one of the marshals on the course was hit by a car and suffered a broken pelvis. It happened because the driver didn't think that road closures applied to them and decided to ignore the signs, barriers, and excited arm waving and shouting of the other marshals and just carry on as if they owned it. Isn't that really nice of our fellow man to behave like that?

The good news is, if there is any, that the road was subject to a formal closure, so for the purposes of legislation the car was being driven other than on a highway. That pretty much automatically makes it a 'careless' offence at least, and causing serious injury by careless or dangerous driving is a big deal indeed. Hopefully the law will stiff the driver good, but I'm not holding my breath over it.
https://themediocrecyclist.home.blog
Self employed MIAS L5.B Instructor.
Warwickshire Lowland Rescue Bike lead.
IPMBA certified member.
Cyctech C2 hammer and crowbar bodger.
Lapsed CTC Ride Leader, amateur hour stuff from the fun old days.

Philip Whiteman

Postby Philip Whiteman » 14 May 2019, 12:38pm

And now this event is done, what is your next big challenge?

Could you answer be this........

Lance Dopestrong

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 14 May 2019, 3:32pm

^^^ An unfortunate name for the event considering this weekends happenings!

I've signed up for the Cobblers one in Northamptonshire, but that's not until October.
IPMBA certified member.

awavey

Postby awavey » 15 May 2019, 12:05am

Lance Dopestrong wrote:That is very sad news indeed. That would have happened some distance beyond the pit stop I was at.

it was just 5miles before the main pitstop 1,as one of my friends did the ride and said theyd been discussing it with other riders at the first pitstop area they stopped at that they came to quite soon afterwards, as there was an obvious shared deep concern for the health of the rider involved

there was another accident that had looked pretty bad too apparently further on, another rider had come down on a descent fairly hard and snapped their bike frame in two

brynpoeth

Re: Velo Midlandst

Postby brynpoeth » 15 May 2019, 6:41am

17 000 participants, one wonders whether one may have too much of a good thing
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Wanlock Dod

Postby Wanlock Dod » 15 May 2019, 7:29pm

It is hardly surprising that closed roads events are as popular as they are given the conditions for cycling these days. It certainly makes a nice change to know that there won’t be any motorised traffic to contend with.

Lance Dopestrong

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 15 May 2019, 8:43pm

Wanlock Dod wrote:It certainly makes a nice change to know that there won’t be any motorised traffic to contend with.

Unless you're a course marshal...

It seems a 72 year old man has been arrested over the injured marshal incident, and someone else is has been reported to the dibble for driving across the closed course and then along a footway. Crush their cars and send them the bill for disposing of the resulting cube. I mean, what on earth is wrong with some people?
IPMBA certified member.

robgul

Postby robgul » 16 May 2019, 7:12am

I endorse the comments made in this thread BUT I've heard lots of reports and experiences this week from Velo riders saying that the "closed road" situation provoked reckless cycling from a minority of TdeF wannabees - annoying and potentially dangerous for the average participant.

Rob

Lance Dopestrong

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 16 May 2019, 8:20am

I've done Sportives on open roads where the fast boys behaved like that.
IPMBA certified member.

awavey

Postby awavey » 21 May 2019, 12:26am

only the once on a sportive have I really experienced that kind of thing, where you had chain gangs & fast riders I would say aggressively overtaking you, and forcibly cutting in front of you when road traffic stopped them making progress, and that went on for nearly 15miles till the groups of riders thinned out enough. Ive not experienced that kind of thing since as I dont think Id do them if it was the norm, but I think I tend to end up starting later now rather than as early as you are allowed and never catch them up so miss them. the biggest ride I did I think was ~4,000 on a Wiggle sportive, but there must have been 3,500 ahead of me as much of it was pretty much just following a strung out line of riders the whole way around with very little passing.

of course on something like this the start time thing is set so people are more mixed in abilities and speeds across the pens, and certainly it sound like there were riders who needed to take a step back from how they were approaching their riding of it and think more what they were doing around other people