BHF – London to Brighton Cycle 16th June 2019 – transport

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
allthegear

BHF – London to Brighton Cycle 16th June 2019 – transport

Postby allthegear » 16 May 2019, 12:57pm

Hi all

I'm riding the BHF London to Brighton cycle on 16th June 2019.

Currently I'm trying to work out the best way to get back towards London and beyond (Hertfordshire) after the race. I've had a look online and the train companies are saying that they'll be refusing those with bikes to use the train from 12:00 on the Sunday. Does anyone know if they actually enforce this or do they just use it as a deterrent in the first instance? If it is enforced any ideas on the best way of getting back towards London?

Many Thanks!

Vorpal

Re: BHF – London to Brighton Cycle 16th June 2019 – transport

Postby Vorpal » 16 May 2019, 1:34pm

The couple of times I've done it, I went with some mates, and someone's partner met us with a people carrier. We and our bikes all went home in that.

Don't they run some coaches or couriers? They used to. I would expect the 'no bikes' rule to be enforced. Otherwise, they'd have thousands of people trying to get on the train with their bikes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

mjr

Postby mjr » 16 May 2019, 1:57pm

Vorpal wrote:Don't they run some coaches or couriers? They used to. I would expect the 'no bikes' rule to be enforced. Otherwise, they'd have thousands of people trying to get on the train with their bikes.

Yes, GTR are banning bikes on the BHF L2B day again, so if you don't have a driver or ability to leave a vehicle in Brighton, you should book the BHF travel at https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help ... our-travel - booking closes 20 May, so only a few days left if it's not already sold out.

If you're upset that it costs more than the train usually does (it's £27 instead of the usual off-peak train £19 to 25), please spare a thought for all the Brighton area cyclists who have to ride 20 miles to Uckfield for a slower journey (or 25 miles to Warnham or Horley), if they want to take their bike on a train that day.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

allthegear

Postby allthegear » 30 May 2019, 2:55pm

Apologies for the delay – I thought I'd get an email notification whenever someone responds! (First time using the site).

Many thanks that is good to know. I'll opt for the coach journey in that case back up to Clapham £27 sounds reasonable to me.

Just got the small task of then biking back in to central London to pick up my car! Unfortunately, trains are not early enough from my local station to having to drive in to central, park up then cycle down to Clapham! I'm not going to risk parking closer to the start line as I'm guessing a lot of people would have the same idea.

Off topic but any ideas on what to take with me on the ride? First time I'm doing such a distance prior to this the longest I've ridden is just over 30 miles.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 30 May 2019, 3:23pm

One wonders whether such enormous events with lots of travel, energy use, disruption, are appropriate, forby they raise a lot of money for good causes

Perhaps joining the Biggest Coffee Morning would be less inappropriate
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life