Birmingham Velo

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
kezzy86

Birmingham Velo

Postby kezzy86 » 5 Mar 2020, 5:40pm

Is anyone doing velo this year? This year will be the first time I've done it and I'm only doing the 45 mile route.

willswitchengage

Re: Birmingham Velo

Postby willswitchengage » 20 Mar 2020, 12:54pm

No-one is doing it now!

beardybiker01

Postby beardybiker01 » 21 Mar 2020, 2:47pm

I would have hoped nobody would ride next year if this dreadful company try and run this event again.

2020 Vélo Birmingham understandably cancelled but without as much as a partial refund. They would have planned to make a profit under normal conditions and stand to make even more by not delivering the event!

The traffic on Twitter is roasting them at the moment.

willswitchengage

Postby willswitchengage » 22 Mar 2020, 5:59pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they never held an event again. Velothon Wales is gone, Velo North never happened, Velo Essex will probably go now too. I did Velothon Berlin a couple of years ago and it was pretty rubbish - massive profile but few riders and no atmosphere. £82 down the drain for me, be interesting to know the legal position.

The other pool of thought is that there will be hundreds of running and cycling events cancelled over the next few months and the majority won't refund.

markyone

Postby markyone » 25 Mar 2020, 5:40am

I am going to try and get my refund through my bank,they should refund as they will make a big profit for doing nothing.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 25 Mar 2020, 5:44am

markyone wrote:I am going to try and get my refund through my bank,they should refund as they will make a big profit for doing nothing.

The banks may not be interested if it’s for less than 100 quid, that’s certainly the case for credit cards.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 25 Mar 2020, 5:46am

willswitchengage wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they never held an event again. Velothon Wales is gone, Velo North never happened, Velo Essex will probably go now too. I did Velothon Berlin a couple of years ago and it was pretty rubbish - massive profile but few riders and no atmosphere. £82 down the drain for me, be interesting to know the legal position.

The other pool of thought is that there will be hundreds of running and cycling events cancelled over the next few months and the majority won't refund.

You forgot to mention Velo South. That was a nightmare and cancelled at the last minute.

willswitchengage

Postby willswitchengage » 26 Mar 2020, 8:15pm

Admittedly for understandable reasons though!

thelawnet

Postby thelawnet » 8 Apr 2020, 1:13pm

They cancelled velo Essex as well, despite it being due in late September, and have returned only 45% of monies paid.

One can only assume they won't try to run any more events because you'd have to be daft to ever give them any money again. Probably same people with a new name though.....

chris_suffolk

Postby chris_suffolk » 9 Apr 2020, 5:04pm

If you know a few people that were going to do it, might be worth a punt through the small claims court, chucking (say) £10 each into the pot. At least that would establish the legal position for when furure events are cancelled by the organiser, and might make others take note.

willswitchengage

Postby willswitchengage » 17 Apr 2020, 9:16pm

thelawnet wrote:They cancelled velo Essex as well, despite it being due in late September, and have returned only 45% of monies paid.

One can only assume they won't try to run any more events because you'd have to be daft to ever give them any money again. Probably same people with a new name though.....

Hang on - so Velo Essex entrants have been partially refunded? Regarding VBM what intrigued me most in their press release was the statement that the event was undersold - indicating to me that their position could have additionally been influenced by the event being not commercially viable anyway.

Today Endure 24 was cancelled with - hey presto - either a full refund being offered or deferment to 2021. Surely it can't be that difficult to treat your customers with respect.

willswitchengage

Postby willswitchengage » 20 May 2020, 6:22pm

Ride London now off, albeit with... full refund.

willswitchengage

Postby willswitchengage » 23 May 2020, 9:25pm

Even Reading Festival are now offering full refunds. Obviously a far smaller and less complex event than VBM.