Virtual Cycle Touring Festival: 25-26 April 2020 (update)

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
mercalia

Virtual Cycle Touring Festival: 25-26 April 2020 (update)

Postby mercalia » 5 Apr 2020, 10:38pm

Capture.JPG
Virtual Cycle Touring Festival: 25-26 April 2020

Hello everyone,

Virtual Cycle Touring Festival: 25-26 April 2020

We are thrilled to announce that this year's Virtual Cycle Touring Festival will be taking place over the weekend of 25-26 April 2020. We have taken the decision to bring it forward, in the vain hope that the current restrictions may have been lifted by the end of May (the original festival date) and we'll all be outside on our bikes having fun. It might be unlikely, but we can dream.

We are busy putting together the programme and you can see the beginnings of this here.
https://cycletouringfestival.co.uk/virtualctf/ It will be a mixture of live webinars, pre-recorded presentations, films and Twitter Q&A sessions. It wouldn't be a cycling event without plenty of cake breaks, which will, by necessity, be BYO.

Everything will be free of charge, but we are asking people to consider making a donation to the National Emergencies Trust Coronavirus Appeal. This is working hard to help those people who have been most affected by the coronavirus pandemic. If you can spare some cash, please donate here. https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/cycletouringfestival

The festival is organised by volunteers, and none of us are paid for our time, so we're in the fortunate position of having virtually no overheads to cover. Costs for the virtual event are limited to a couple of hundred pounds (to cover a subscription to Zoom and our web hosting costs). These are currently covered by reserves from previous years, but if you know anyone who might like to take out an advert in our online brochure to help cover these modest costs, please put them in touch with us.

We will be in touch in the next couple of weeks with more details about the programme for the weekend. In meantime, enjoy your socially-distant exercise and ride responsibly.

Stay well,
Laura & the festival team
Last edited by mercalia on 5 May 2020, 1:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

mercalia

Re: Virtual Cycle Touring Festival: 25-26 April 2020

Postby mercalia » 26 Apr 2020, 3:17pm

any one here watching this?

teamonster

Postby teamonster » 26 Apr 2020, 6:46pm

Watched quite a few sessions. Thought the virtual format worked pretty well. Full marks to Laura and the team for putting this together

hondated

Postby hondated » 26 Apr 2020, 10:17pm

mercalia wrote:any one here watching this?

From Saturday until tonight & really enjoyed it.
One of the things I gleaned from it was that the lady cyclists seem to be leading the way when it comes to adventure cycling :wink:
Definitely got to try and get a ticket for it next year.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 27 Apr 2020, 1:11pm

There quite a few non live recordings put on YouTube, you can get a link toward the bottom here

https://secureservercdn.net/160.153.137.19/662.17d.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/CTF20-Brochure-20.04.20.pdf

did anyone think that maybe thats the way it should be done in future? no traveling, no need to hire a venue? The money saved could be put to a better use?

st599_uk

Postby st599_uk » 27 Apr 2020, 8:57pm

I enjoyed it, even if it was more Zoom calls after a week of Zoom calls.

Normally, if I'd not been stuck indoors, I'd probably not have watched it. Would definitely like to try and attend in person next year - but yeah, they could try and do a split event, one fee for being on site, one for remote video access.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

Astrobike

Postby Astrobike » 27 Apr 2020, 11:32pm

Very enjoyable but not a replacement for the real cycle touring festival

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 28 Apr 2020, 11:24am

st599_uk wrote:I enjoyed it, even if it was more Zoom calls after a week of Zoom calls.

Normally, if I'd not been stuck indoors, I'd probably not have watched it. Would definitely like to try and attend in person next year - but yeah, they could try and do a split event, one fee for being on site, one for remote video access.

trouble is the normal venue is hard to get to from London so an online version would be better

PH

Postby PH » 28 Apr 2020, 11:40am

mercalia wrote:trouble is the normal venue is hard to get to from London so an online version would be better

It's a touring festival, aimed at people who at the drop of a hat go cycling across continents, I don't think the location is a barrier.
I watched a couple of thing live and am catching up with some of the recorded stuff, enjoying it. But it's not the same as being there anymore than virtual cycling would be a substitute for the real thing. Now the tech has been tried and tested, I hope it's used in future for those not attending. I doubt anyone who'd like to attend would choose the online version instead, it just isn't the same thing. I'd be happy to pay something for the online content.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 28 Apr 2020, 11:47am

mercalia wrote:
trouble is the normal venue is hard to get to from London so an online version would be better

Direct train from london to preston, then a two hour ride through wonderful countryside.
Or you can get trains to clitheroe via preston or manchester Piccadilly if you are willing to brave northern, which is at least great with bikes. Venue 5 mins ride from station.
If you fancy a longer ride I can send you a gpx from wolverhampton to the venue - have done it nonstop loaded. I also have a gpx from manchester Piccadilly. Or one from crewe. Or one from northwich. Last two very good cheap hassle free bike carriage with london northwestern.
Sweep

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 30 Apr 2020, 11:52am

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Direct train from london to preston, then a two hour ride through wonderful countryside.
Or you can get trains to clitheroe via preston or manchester Piccadilly if you are willing to brave northern, which is at least great with bikes. Venue 5 mins ride from station.
If you fancy a longer ride I can send you a gpx from wolverhampton to the venue - have done it nonstop loaded. I also have a gpx from manchester Piccadilly. Or one from crewe. Or one from northwich. Last two very good cheap hassle free bike carriage with london northwestern.

but its the back of beyond there? they dont speak proper? :wink:

mjr

Postby mjr » 30 Apr 2020, 2:13pm

mercalia wrote:trouble is the normal venue is hard to get to from London so an online version would be better

Even worse from East Anglia. Our trains to Manchester only carry two bikes and are up for the chop anyway, so then we'd probably be coming down to London and fighting you for the bike spaces.

Or we could just not bother and go touring instead ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 1 May 2020, 1:17pm

mjr wrote:

Even worse from East Anglia. Our trains to Manchester only carry two bikes and are up for the chop anyway, so then we'd probably be coming down to London and fighting you for the bike spaces.

I would think even worse from Somerset?

mjr

Postby mjr » 1 May 2020, 3:28pm

mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:

I would think even worse from Somerset?

Surprisingly not: I think 3 bikes per train, fewer changes and no services for the chop, but it might have changed.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Astrobike

Postby Astrobike » 2 May 2020, 2:25am

mercalia wrote:
Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:

but its the back of beyond there? they dont speak proper? :wink:

With comments like that you would be better staying at home as the weekend is for people who want
To cycle tour and don't mind how people talk meany who come from london