Covid ride concept.. 'Buddy Brew with a View'

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
Sam Retro Grouch

Covid ride concept.. 'Buddy Brew with a View'

Postby Sam Retro Grouch » 22 May 2020, 7:11am

Hi all, as we are all social distancing and riding solo at the moment, I've started a new weekly ride, I advertised to my cycling friends on Facebook and thought I'd share here for others.
It's a very simple concept, once per week I arrange to have a socially distanced meet with a friend, we meet halfway between their house and mine, looking for a nice not too busy location. We have each ridden there selecting whichever route we like, spend an hour or so at the location having a brew, and then pedal home. It's a simple concept but ticks a lot of boxes...bike chat, mental health, tea, biscuits. Route planning, maps. Different locations every week. Welcome to "Buddy Brew with a View' so far I have a weekly evening ride planned with a different friend into July...things to look forward to.

rmurphy195

Re: Covid ride concept.. 'Buddy Brew with a View'

Postby rmurphy195 » 29 May 2020, 3:51pm

I think its a great idea - since the rule change I've been able to meet my son and daughter this way (on separate rides on separate days, a few days apart so as to reduce risks.) I live about 5 miles or so from each of them, in different directions.

I would add that we share nothing except words, and those at a distance of at least 2 metres. Refreshments/cakes/biccies/cups/flasks etc. we provide our own so no physical contact, and a further risk reduction.

It may sound pernickerty but then, I'm the one who at present only shops on one day per week, never fridays or a weekend, and no more than two outlets, one if I can manage it! (I figure the fewer contacts I have, the less the risk to me and them)

Doesn't stop me from saying hello to every walker, cyclist and horse rider I go past though!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

mjr

Postby mjr » 29 May 2020, 5:15pm

Anyone planning to meet up outside might like to download the excellent pttdroid (Push To Talk anDROID) app for Android and set one of their phones as a wifi hotspot (call it something obvious like pttdroid and switch external mobile data off), then all connect to that hotspot and launch the app. It's less effort/risk than shouting at each other and doesn't lag as much as using mobile data (because the transmission is line of sight not around base stations and faraway interconnects).

Sadly, I don't know if there's a similar wifi walkie-talkie app for iPhones, let alone if there's a compatible one.

https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/ro.ui.pttdroid
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 30 May 2020, 9:10pm

mjr wrote:Anyone planning to meet up outside might like to download the excellent pttdroid (Push To Talk anDROID) app for Android and set one of their phones as a wifi hotspot (call it something obvious like pttdroid and switch external mobile data off), then all connect to that hotspot and launch the app. It's less effort/risk than shouting at each other and doesn't lag as much as using mobile data (because the transmission is line of sight not around base stations and faraway interconnects).

Sadly, I don't know if there's a similar wifi walkie-talkie app for iPhones, let alone if there's a compatible one.

The routing round base stations isn't the reason for the lag....
the speed of light is fast, really really fast.
Even when slowed somewhat by using optical fibres, it's still *really* fast.
You could send the signal all the way around the planet via slow fibre and still do it within 2 tenths of a second.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

mjr

Postby mjr » 31 May 2020, 12:53am

[XAP]Bob wrote:
mjr wrote:Anyone planning to meet up outside might like to download the excellent pttdroid (Push To Talk anDROID) app for Android and set one of their phones as a wifi hotspot (call it something obvious like pttdroid and switch external mobile data off), then all connect to that hotspot and launch the app. It's less effort/risk than shouting at each other and doesn't lag as much as using mobile data (because the transmission is line of sight not around base stations and faraway interconnects).

The routing round base stations isn't the reason for the lag....
the speed of light is fast, really really fast.
Even when slowed somewhat by using optical fibres, it's still *really* fast.
You could send the signal all the way around the planet via slow fibre and still do it within 2 tenths of a second.

And are you going to ignore the processing done at those places you can't see?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.