Anyone riding around stoke or Leek area that isn't Rambo on a bike!?

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
Bedshed

Anyone riding around stoke or Leek area that isn't Rambo on a bike!?

Postby Bedshed » 23 Sep 2020, 5:23pm

Hi all,

I'm 38 and got into cycling after a major coronary blow out (congenital rather than pie related) and doing my leg in on a rowing machine. So I dont really know anyone who's into road cycling and looking for other people to meet up with for a burn.

I'm stil relatively fit and can do 50-60 mile plus days no problem at all, as long as I do it at a fairly leisurely pace and I'm fine climbing decent hills but if the gradient gets too high I burn out fairly quickly and anyone who's smashing the hills like a pro is just going to lap me let alone drop me.

My ftp is about 150. I regularly ride from stoke to leek and back and climbing up Ladderedge is a good hill for me, whereas going up past Ramshaw would just be game over. Building things up on Zwift so getting stronger but no point hooking up with people who are just too fit to ride with for now.

I'm pretty flexible work wise so times can flex to suit.

mumbojumbo

Re: Anyone riding around stoke or Leek area that isn't Rambo on a bike!?

Postby mumbojumbo » 23 Sep 2020, 8:13pm

Alright round Biddulph but best is either side of Buxton road-Meerbrook and Rudyard lakes,Flash,Allgreave etc.Quiet rugged and authentic-like a an All-Black.Who or what is a Rambo.
Last edited by mumbojumbo on 25 Sep 2020, 5:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bedshed

Postby Bedshed » 24 Sep 2020, 5:28pm

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. I'm looking for other people who want to meet up for a ride, but arent crazy athletic.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 24 Sep 2020, 5:30pm

I don't think Rambo would be very fast uphill.

Bedshed

Postby Bedshed » 24 Sep 2020, 5:35pm

Chippolini looked like a roid rager and he managed to go pro so who knows.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 24 Sep 2020, 5:37pm

Bedshed wrote:Chippolini looked like a roid rager and he managed to go pro so who knows.

He used to climb off his bike when the TdF started going uphill.

Bedshed

Postby Bedshed » 24 Sep 2020, 8:08pm

Probably still walk up it faster than I cycle up it!

Joking aside though I'm not that knackered, but anyone taking things seriously probably would want a faster rider.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 24 Sep 2020, 8:16pm

Bedshed wrote:Probably still walk up it faster than I cycle up it!

Joking aside though I'm not that knackered, but anyone taking things seriously probably would want a faster rider.

I understand your concerns. It's just that I find Rambo an odd choice to typify a powerful cyclist. His build is hardly ideal.

Bedshed

Postby Bedshed » 24 Sep 2020, 10:12pm

I find replying to this thread to debate the plausability of Rambo as a metaphor for over competitive blokes somewhat ironic. You dig? :D

lescargo

Postby lescargo » 29 Sep 2020, 3:16pm

BEDSHED I have looked at backnumber, September 2018 for nearest for CTC District associaton sec,(now called
Member Groups) who would no doubt tell you of local rides, activities.
Cant find Stoke or Leek group .
Possible get constructive response from "CYCLE" listed numbers of secretaries for Sheffield District-Angella
Walker t.07702034467 or Manchester and District- Mike Wigley-01457870421.
In the good old days of CTC we did have a section to advertise in mag. "companions wanted" .
Hopefully you get to meet up with an experienced cyclist who will show you what you can do not what they can do!!

essexian

Postby essexian » 2 Oct 2020, 1:28pm

You could also try some of the local cycling clubs: I live a bit further south than you in Stafford so don't really know the groups in Stoke but Stone Wheelers are quite active, as are Stafford Road Club (who I sometimes cycle with... they have or had, a Wednesday group for seniors who despite having 10 to 20 years on me would rip my legs off up hill!). Audley also has a club who do a couple of decent reliability rides, while there are loads of clubs (Market Drayton, Newport, Nova Raiders etc) just a few miles over the Shropshire border.

Good luck.