RULES for posting about EVENTS ( charity or otherwise )

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
Graham

Re: Rules for posting about events

Post by Graham »

Still no action from Guildford to reconcile the main CTC website text and the Forum rules.

I have forwarded the email to another member of staff ( who has a better track record of responding to requests ).
gaz

Post by gaz »

Si wrote:... a number of charities pay the CTC to advertise in its magazine, just as the CTC (a charity) pays to advertise it self elsewhere. So why should we give other charities free air time here? ....

This post is not from a CTC representative, is not about a CTC event and is not from an established forum contributor. It is in direct competition with CTC and at least one of its paying advertisers who are seeking riders for their own teams at Prudential RideLondon through Cycle magazine.

I've checked, the post was approved. We seem to have adopted the CTC website position that you can advertise your event for free on our forum. Fair enough.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Graham

Post by Graham »

I approved it, because I thought CTC were associated with the Prudential rides somehow.

I'm not a CTC member/subscriber/donor so I can only make vague associations.

This time I appear to have been wrong. Sorry.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Thank you for reviewing the decision. I think the confusion may have arisen because of how Prudential RideLondon works.

There are 25,000 places on the Sportive. Many have been given to Charities who then recruit teams of riders from their supporters. Sponsorship monies raised go to those Charities.

It's like having multiple Charity events all on the same route on the same day, with each of the Charities trying to drum up support for it's own event by mentioning the whole. Trying to find out which (if any) advertise in Cycle or have some other strong connection to CTC would not be simple.

CTC is connected to Prudential RideLondon. It has 50 places for helmet wearing riders prepared to raise sponsorship monies of at least £300 each for CTC. CTC is also looking for Volunteers to run Dr Bike sessions for the Freecycle event and act as Marshalls for the Sportive.

It's all complicated even further because the CTC website still says you can advertise here for free.

18/4/15 Edit: Just decided to have a go at using the CTC website feedback form to get the "discrepancy" resolved, or at least the landing page for the link changed to the "forum rules".
gaz

Post by gaz »

The CTC website page has been updated on 5 May 2015: http://www.ctc.org.uk/support-ctc/cycli ... ertise-ctc

The reference to Andy Hawes has been dropped. The landing page for the link remains the "Women's cycling interests" board. There is no mention of any conditions for the "free advertising" of an event on the forum :roll: .
Graham

Post by Graham »

Graham mbadmin@ctc.org.uk
16:45 (0 minutes ago)

to matt.mallinder, Ian
Dear Matt, Ian,

Please modify the text on your website page to correspond to the forum rules for posting publicity about CHARITY RIDES

http://www.ctc.org.uk/support-ctc/cyclists-welcome/other-ways-to-advertise-ctc
For free advertising for your charity ride, why not try the CTC forum?

This contradicts the forum rule below and makes CTC look stupid . . ..
The link goes to the wrong section anyway . . .

>>
Rules for posting about events
Postby Vorpal » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:16 am

Eligibility for posting an event
=======================
To post about an event on this forum please contact forum staff, in order to prove one or more of the following:
- that the charity ride is already advertised through CTC formal channels. e.g. Cycle Magazine ; website : other . . . .
- that you are a representative of a CTC Group
- that you are posting about a CTC and/or Cyclenation event
- that you are an established CTC Forum contributor

This is the third email I have sent about this.,

Please respond and fix it.

Best Wishes
gaz

Re: RULES for posting about EVENTS ( charity or otherwise )

Post by gaz »

Looks like they've finally cracked it on 28 May.

For free advertising of a CTC and/or Cyclenation event, or a charity ride that is advertised in Cycle magazine, why not try the CTC forum?

Well done Graham :D .
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks for informing me Gaz.

You are the only person to have mentioned this update.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Updated to include nonprofit bike hub or cycling oriented community enterprise.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Updated to include instructions to first time users.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Updated to change references from CTC to Cycling UK.
lagansfoundation

Post by lagansfoundation »

Hello, i'm looking for a little bit of support with these rules, I was told by a member of staff over the phone last week that I could post our event in the forum. I have added Lagan's Cycle Challenge to your event section awaiting approval.
Thank you
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

lagansfoundation wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 11:57am Hello, i'm looking for a little bit of support with these rules, I was told by a member of staff over the phone last week that I could post our event in the forum. I have added Lagan's Cycle Challenge to your event section awaiting approval.
Thank you
Welcome to the forum, Can you please say how the event is related to Cycling UK?

Also, can you send a message to me or slowster about who approved the post?

Thanks