The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Psamathe

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Post by Psamathe »

BrianFox wrote:...
There are pros and cons to what's going on....

Whatever "pros" there might be have been totally obscured by the disastrous way in which the issue has been handled by the organisers (National Office). And it (or something) is still subject to a vote by the membership so quite where the the change stands ... who knows.

But to launch into such a significant change without consulting the membership (those who are paying for all the consultants, printers, web developers, PR, etc.) completely beggars belief. Why in god's name did they think it had to be treated as some sort of "trade secret" like their competitors might jump in ahead of them if their plans leaked out early? Any organisation can achieve far far more by keeping those paying the salaries/changes/etc. on-side and supportive rather than just ignoring them as irrelevant.

And the complete mishandling of everything raises very major questions about the abilities of the organisers.

Ian
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Giles Pargiter wrote:
Mick F wrote:Brian Fox.

I haven't a clue who you are, and no doubt you don't know who I am.
However, I have (at the present count) over 34,500 posts on here. I am a well respected and highly regarded forum member. Many of us have been on here for years and years and I am not unusual ... other than my post count. I first joined the forum and the CTC in 2004 (despite what the stats might say)

The CTC forum has been resurrected and resurrected again and again. This is maybe the fourth generation?

Read this forum before you come on here and pontificate.

toungue firmly in cheek . . . well I was a CTC member when I was a baby, my parents are life members and my grandparents pretty much started the CTC and I've only made - er 19 posts . . . so where does that leave us then?

Nepotism?
Giles Pargiter

Post by Giles Pargiter »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
Giles Pargiter wrote:
Mick F wrote:Brian Fox.

".... Nepotism?
" :lol:
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Well, I like the rebrand.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

my signature says it all for me.....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mark a. wrote:Well, I like the rebrand.
Can I ask why?

Not arguing here or taking a stance against you.
Why do you like the rebrand?

Personally, I don't like it but that doesn't mean I'm not open to other opinions.
Mick F. Cornwall
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

al_yrpal wrote:
BrianFox wrote:Mick, et al,

I asked you, very politely, to reserve negative comments for elsewhere. Otherwise you're effectively filibustering people who want to have a positive conversation.

I've no objection at all to your complaints, in fact i think they are very valuable, but would also like freedom to continue a conversation without them.

Our comments are not negative. They are about democracy and proper consultation. Its quite clear you want to avoid these things. If you want a love in here you are not going to get it.

My suggestion is that as this new organisation is not focussed on touring that it gives up the CTC name and insignia to a new organisation that is. You are not using it so why not? You can then get on with grabbing grants and campaigning for cycling in general unencumbered by dinosaurs like me.

Al

That sums it up for me too.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Mick F wrote:
mark a. wrote:Well, I like the rebrand.
Can I ask why?

I never really liked the CTC name that much - I'm not really a tourer (when I joined I was mostly commuting and mountain biking) and I don't really like clubs. So for me Cycling UK fits better as a name and as a concept.

I'm not a huge fan of the new logo (it's rather Early Learning Centre) but anything's better than that cartoon bike thing.
sbesley

Post by sbesley »

Mick F said it perfectly....

I didn't want to convert to a charity and I don't want a name change.
I voted NO to convert and I haven't been given the chance to vote NO to a name change.

As I said, I'm out.
I won't be renewing my membership. ...
+1

The corporate speak, the 'charity' professionalism, the political re-brand deceptions, I hate it all. Sorry but I can't help it.

So I will be looking to join a real cycle touring club :)
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I feel a bit a sorry for Brian as a positive thread to offset the negative ones is a laudable aim but difficult to achieve as folk will take issue.

I thought the launch in Cycle was quite well done and almost convincing. But then bits like PT describing the change cycle where people initial hate the idea are won around with time comes straight from Change Management 101.

However, as to the positives..... Nope, sorry can't help.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

geocycle wrote:...But then bits like PT describing the change cycle where people initial hate the idea are won around with time comes straight from Change Management 101. ....

And such "initially hate the idea ..." prediction allows them to sit in their review meetings declaring how it "is all going as we expected".

Add to that the disastrous way management handled CJ being made redundant and it raises real questions over the calibre of those running the organisation.

Many have done management courses, sat through PowerPoint presentations, yet fortunately most quickly appreciate that those presenting such things actually "limited useful experience".

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I would love to sit through one of their council meetings with a '<word meaning 'exaggerated or foolish talk; nonsense'> bingo' scorecard. Someone would undoubtably shout out "house!" in record time..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

sbesley wrote:Mick F said it perfectly....

I voted NO to convert and I haven't been given the chance to vote NO to a name change.

As I said, I'm out.
+1

The corporate speak, the 'charity' professionalism, the political re-brand deceptions, I hate it all. Sorry but I can't help it.

That goes for me too. I wont be renewing. I joined because I wanted to be part of a touring club that was there for it's members not a nebulous marketing organisation to represent cycling in the UK, members or not. My opinion wasnt sought in any renaming despite the fact that I paid to join.

I notice that the holidays & tour page of the 'old' CTC still exists as the CTC. Is that because the new name doesnt quite fit?
robgul

Post by robgul »

ukdodger wrote:
sbesley wrote:Mick F said it perfectly....

As I said, I'm out.
+1

That goes for me too. I wont be renewing. I joined because I wanted to be part of a touring club that was there for it's members not a nebulous marketing organisation to represent cycling in the UK, members or not. My opinion wasnt sought in any renaming despite the fact that I paid to join.

I notice that the holidays & tour page of the 'old' CTC still exists as the CTC. Is that because the new name doesnt quite fit?

As pointed out before "Cycling UK Holidays" is a bit restrictive ...... or not thought through.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

To be fair, I think they have said throughout that they are happy to keep the CTC name in association with their heritage and touring activities, including holidays and touring focused membership groups.