Disentis/Mustér to Ilanz: on- or off-road ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
monxton

Disentis/Mustér to Ilanz: on- or off-road ?

Post by monxton »

If you have experience of this section of Swiss NCN 2, which route would you recommend, for travelling in June this year? What are the surfaces like on the off-road route? We'll be on touring bikes with slick 28-32mm tyres. Is there much traffic on the road (it will be the weekend)? Is either route more rewarding from a touristic standpoint?

Thanks!
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Disentis/Mustér to Ilanz: on- or off-road ?

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

We went on-road, partly because the rain was torrential but also because Anna's Airnimal Chameleon has pretty skinny tyres (28mm) and the guidebook suggested this was the least manicured section of route. Traffic levels were ok to begin with but it got pretty busy further down the valley, including frequent HGVs - I don't recall any close passes but it wasn't particularly my idea of fun. But that might have been the rain talking!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Its been a while since I was around Ilanz. However the offroad option used to be really quite smooth and pleasant. The main road is incredibly busy in nice weather, almost non stop traffic. I would stay offroad as much as I could. All IMHO.
monxton

Post by monxton »

Thanks, both. Sounds like we should decide on the day when we see the conditions and know the weather. There are a few opportunities to change your mind where the two routes intersect.
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

I did this in 2011. What I remember is that the first part downhill after Disentis/Mustér was even on my 2" tires was rather difficult. After that its more easy, but in bad weather, the tracks can be muddy.
Consider of taking the train after Illanz. It is the best way to see the Rheinschlucht.

Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.