Strange situation - getting logged out.

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Psamathe

Re: Strange situation - getting logged out.

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:...
However, I've solved the problem.
It's all to do with the new forum address, but why, I don't know.

I had forum.ctc.org.uk as my bookmark, so when I opened up a new window and went to it, that's when I was logged out.
I've now deleted that bookmark and made another as forum.cyclinguk.org and it all now works as it should.

Weird because I'm still using the http://forum.ctc.org.uk/ and http://forum.ctc.org.uk/search.php?search_id=newposts as my bookmarks and am not having the same issues you were having (and my cookies setting is still set as yours is as I've not bothered to change it back after testing).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep, wierd.

It's all ok now, and all I've done is to make a new bookmark for the new address.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:Weird because I'm still using the http://forum.ctc.org.uk/ and http://forum.ctc.org.uk/search.php?search_id=newposts as my bookmarks and am not having the same issues you were having (and my cookies setting is still set as yours is as I've not bothered to change it back after testing).

If you visit the old CTC address, the forum sends back a cookie for CUK (this happened for me), but you ignore that (your setting to "allow for current website only") and after the redirect, you'll send back the CUK cookie stored from your last visit, so you're still logged in.

Whereas MickF's cookie probably expired for some reason, so he was getting a new CUK cookie every time he was redirected.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I no longer get emails for reply's to my posts :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's a different issue to not staying logged in.

The code that sends out emails is not 100% reliable, but it hasn't changed for years now. Check your "spam" folder, although the "From" address is still "mbadmin@ctc.org.uk" - another thing that'll need changing at some point!
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've long had an intermittent problem a bit like this. I tend to find that opening a link from a notification email will, just occasionally, give me a tab in which I am not signed in, although I'm already signed in in other tabs. Following a link in that new tab will result in my being signed out in the other tabs too.

This is in Firefox. It's been an annoyance for years. I don't think I have any dud cookies and there's definitely no sid= in any of my links (which, as I said, come from notification emails anyway).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

At some point in the next few weeks I'll be upgrading the Forum to phpBB3.1 which has quite a lot of new code. That might help the intermittent notifications.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

admin wrote:That's a different issue to not staying logged in.

The code that sends out emails is not 100% reliable, but it hasn't changed for years now. Check your "spam" folder, although the "From" address is still "mbadmin@ctc.org.uk" - another thing that'll need changing at some point!

Please no. I've spent ages getting e-mail from ctc.org.uk routed so they don't get through to my iPhone but do get through to my Mac. To to undo all that and set it all up again would be a complete waste of my time. After all, they are goign to great lengths to say how the CTC is still the organisation ...

And I really don't want to go to all the grief.

And if they change Fill that hole I'll drop that as well (as that uses the same e-mail routing) - there are alternatives where you don't get the e-mails.

Ian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Psamathe wrote:
admin wrote:although the "From" address is still "mbadmin@ctc.org.uk" - another thing that'll need changing at some point!

Please no. I've spent ages getting e-mail from ctc.org.uk routed so they don't get through to my iPhone but do get through to my Mac. To to undo all that and set it all up again would be a complete waste of my time. After all, they are goign to great lengths to say how the CTC is still the organisation ...

And I really don't want to go to all the grief.

And if they change Fill that hole I'll drop that as well (as that uses the same e-mail routing) - there are alternatives where you don't get the e-mails.

Ian

It's not my decision to make. If Cycling UK decide to change their email addresses from something@ctc.org.uk to something@cyclinguk.org that's their decision.

FillThatHole uses a different domain, fillthathole.org.uk, so is much less likely to change. Unless Cycling UK want it to become fillthathole.cyclinguk.org at some point, but that doesn't seem very likely.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

FWIW, I asked National Office and all organisation email addresses have changed from @ctc.org.uk to @cyclinguk.org to match the new brand name. However sending emails to @ctc.org.uk will continue to work indefinitely.