Shimano 9/10 speed

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ericonabike

Shimano 9/10 speed

Post by ericonabike »

So...I have an Airborne Valkyrie of which I am very fond, and which I hope will outlast me [the ti frame anyway]. It has original Shimano 105 triple chainring, front mech and rear mech, but I changed the cassette some time back to an 11-32 MTB cassette [9 speed] giving me gear ratios from 25 - 125 inches. With which I am very happy! But things are starting to wear, and I'm looking to replace before a long tour in june. I want to keep the triple, but seems only 10 speed now available. Curiously, the rear shifter is designed for 10 speed anyway as it gives 9 clicks rather than 8? I replaced the bottom bracket bearings only recently, so am looking to buy 105 triple chainset, 10 speed Shimano MTB cassette and 10 speed chain. Just looking for reassurance that they will all play happily together before shelling out!
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
Brucey

Re: Shimano 9/10 speed

Post by Brucey »

to get any intelligent answers at all you need to identify what model parts you have.

The only shifters that will let you run 10s are 10s shifters, and the only way to confirm that is to identify the model number (normally visible if you lift the rubber hood slightly).

BTW If you have been running 9s for years it seems unlikely that you have 10s shifters.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

Fair point. Couldn't see a model number, but looking back to 2005 purchase docs, listed as 105 ST-5510L 9 speed. Yet there are nine clicks top to bottom rather than eight?
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

5500 was indeed a 9s groupset... so ought to have 9 positions, 8 clicks...?

you can google image search 5500 (9s) 5600, 5700 (both 10s) STIs and this may help you decide what you have.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

What parts are worn on your current chainset as spare rings are available, as are bottom brackets etc.
Also, again depending on what you want, other chainsets are available such as SPA's own etc.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

Just to update - became slightly lost when thinking about this and so took problem to LBS. They confirmed that despite it being >10 years old, shifter was indeed 10 speed. Chain rings deemed ok, so got away with replacing chain and having new [10 speed] cassette fitted. So now have 30 gears [!] ranging from 24 to 124 inches.