Pre-war bike clubs

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
Peter Bedingfield

Pre-war bike clubs

Post by Peter Bedingfield »

I wish to find out about the Kingston ROAD CC if I can. From their websites I find that Kingston WHEELERS CC and Kingston PHOENIX CC (Offshoot of CTC Kingston DA) were both in existence before 1939. Is the badge I have from a pre-cursor to one of these clubs or was it a third bike club in the same town?

Peter Bedingfield
Keith Bennett

Re: Pre-war bike clubs

Post by Keith Bennett »

In my early T.T. days (late 40s and early 50s) if my memory is correct, I knew the R.C.C. and Phoenix but don't recall the wheelers. At that time Kingston RCC were one of the fast clubs. I can't recall many names but Charlie Whitbourne stands out in my memory as I frequently met him on the River Bank opposite Hampton Court Palace when I was eating my lunch sandwiches and he was playing football with his co-workers. Charlie was one of the elite few that beat the hour for a 25 and to do so would probably be headlined in 'Cycling'
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi There, Kingston Road CC was listed in my books in 1935, Secretary living in Balmoral Road, Kingston upon Thames.
By 1939 both the Wheelers and the Phoenix were also listed. The Wheelers Secretary lived Worcester Park, Surrey, the Phoenix Secretary lived in Teddington.
Hope this helps? TTFN MM
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Just seen this thread.

I joined the Kingston Road Club on completing National Service in 1956. Moved to the Midlands in 1960 and I believe the club folded several years later. Most members joined the neighbouring Redmon (anagram of their base in Morden).
Peter Bedingfield

Post by Peter Bedingfield »

Thanks guys.

I have now established contact of sorts with Barbara Atkins. She and her husband Ken helped run Kingston RCC in the immediate post-war years. She recalls both Charlie Whitbourne and also Cyril Peacock (who later transferred to Tooting BC)

Any further snippets gratefully lapped up.

Peter Bedingfield
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Flash of memory (don't get many nowdays :D ).

Peter Crook was one of the short distance team with Charlie Whitbourne and when I joined Arthur Overton had just set a new National 12 hour record.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Correction. Juist checked - the 12 hour record had been set by Arthur 11 years earlier. I thought it was more recent as it was still a regular topic in club gatherings
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

The start of my modest collection