2016 AGM - Reminder to vote from the Chair

drossall

Re: 2016 AGM - Reminder to vote from the Chair

Post by drossall »

Whatever you think about the changes in the CTC (and I have reservations), it's unfair to criticise the chair and council/trustees for having views and promoting them. They would be derelict in their duty as trustees if they did not. The role of the members is to hold them to account for promoting the work of the charity, by agreeing or not with their proposals.

It is no part of the role of a trustee to maintain neutrality on everything. What trustees do need to do together is to agree their collective view of the way forward for the charity, and then all stick to their agreement.
PH

Post by PH »

Philip Benstead wrote:
PH wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Dont appoint the chair as your proxy. Vote in accordance with your own wishes.

You can do both, just look at the forms. The chair is the only proxy guaranteed to be there.

The chair of the ctc will not there he will be in USA. The deputy chair will chair the meeting.

Really Phillip, it'd basic stuff you ought to know. You don't give you proxy to an individual, you give it to the chair, no chair = no meeting = no vote. My point stands.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

gaz wrote:An e-mail dropped into my inbox this morning.
Dear .

I need your help. We have a real opportunity to shape the way that Cycling UK is run so that we are able to fulfil our potential to improve and support cycling. Council members (our board of trustees) are making an important proposal and we need your support to make it happen by voting now in favour of motion 5 on governance at our AGM.
Please take the time to read this motion and to vote in support of the proposals. Details of all the motions and the AGM itself are online, and you can vote electronically too – we hope we have record numbers taking part by attending or voting.

I'm sure none of the contributors on these boards would need a reminder but what harm could there be in trying to encourage the membership to vote :wink: .

My take on this one gaz is that the chair is desperate to get his own way and is pleading with us to give him his own way.

In my opinion (to which I have as much right as the chair has to his) the motion that he is so desperate about is bad for the erstwhile CTC, bad for democracy within the 'club' and bad for those outside of the cosyness of chumminess - whoever the chums may be, and whenever the chumminess may develope. It'll go his way anyway, because too many 'members' (or whatever we can be correctly called now) will not be bothered to vote, and the chair will use the votes vested in him to get things his own way.

I shall vote anyway.
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

JohnW wrote:
gaz wrote:An e-mail dropped into my inbox this morning.
Dear .

I need your help. We have a real opportunity to shape the way that Cycling UK is run so that we are able to fulfil our potential to improve and support cycling. Council members (our board of trustees) are making an important proposal and we need your support to make it happen by voting now in favour of motion 5 on governance at our AGM.
Please take the time to read this motion and to vote in support of the proposals. Details of all the motions and the AGM itself are online, and you can vote electronically too – we hope we have record numbers taking part by attending or voting.

I'm sure none of the contributors on these boards would need a reminder but what harm could there be in trying to encourage the membership to vote :wink: .

My take on this one gaz is that the chair is desperate to get his own way and is pleading with us to give him his own way.

In my opinion (to which I have as much right as the chair has to his) the motion that he is so desperate about is bad for the erstwhile CTC, bad for democracy within the 'club' and bad for those outside of the cosyness of chumminess - whoever the chums may be, and whenever the chumminess may develope. It'll go his way anyway, because too many 'members' (or whatever we can be correctly called now) will not be bothered to vote, and the chair will use the votes vested in him to get things his own way.

I shall vote anyway.

It does look like desperation, my money would be on David Cox relinquishing the chairmanship very soon, whatever happens with the votes. We'll see

B1
Riding high!