Marks and Spencer cycling chinos

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
gaz

Re: Marks and Spencer cycling chinos

Post by gaz »

This week I have mostly been wearing M&S Cycling Chinos.

Speaking more seriously for a moment earlier this week I spent a "smart casual" day at work in them, they are comfy enough for the office. Today I did a fifty mile ride, comfortable on the bike for me too :D .

The poppers did seem to leave the hem rather loose and flappy but nothing got tangled in the chain. The reflective pocket tabs are a bit gimmicky. I want to keep the pockets closed so things don't fall out, even if I didn't they'd most likely be covered up by my jacket or T-shirt.

Only wish I'd tested them sooner and bought a few more as relevant sizes now sold out :( , it's been shorts weather until today :) .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Stop waving your comfy trousers in womens faces :(
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I now have a brand new never worn still shop-labelled pair for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=105330
Sweep
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

So do I
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

greyingbeard wrote:So do I

Can I ask what size.

If unused and 34in 29 leg and you want 36, 29, we could swap.

I'm selling because that size is wrong for me - not because I don't like them - I think they are great.
Sweep
Si

Post by Si »

Still using my first pair. They are quite hardy - hit the road with enough force to fracture my kneecap but they didn't tear! However, they have gone a bit white where they slid on the road.
hondated

Post by hondated »

gaz wrote:This week I have mostly been wearing M&S Cycling Chinos.

Speaking more seriously for a moment earlier this week I spent a "smart casual" day at work in them, they are comfy enough for the office. Today I did a fifty mile ride, comfortable on the bike for me too :D .

The poppers did seem to leave the hem rather loose and flappy but nothing got tangled in the chain. The reflective pocket tabs are a bit gimmicky. I want to keep the pockets closed so things don't fall out, even if I didn't they'd most likely be covered up by my jacket or T-shirt.

Only wish I'd tested them sooner and bought a few more as relevant sizes now sold out :( , it's been shorts weather until today :) .

Cor your tougher than me then gaz.

I seem to wear my couple of pairs of these more off the bike than on.
gaz

Post by gaz »

hondated wrote:Cor your tougher than me then gaz.

I seem to wear my couple of pairs of these more off the bike than on.

You are quoting me from last September, I've yet to venture out in shorts this year. Still enjoying the Chinos, on and off the bike.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Hail and praise the regularly maligned (every few years the Brit public decides that they are retailing experts and seems to say they are out of touch) M&S for the normally good value and down to earth Rose Bikes has just sent me a mail singing the praises of the somewhat more expensive option:

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/alberto/?af ... er03102016
Sweep
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

A tad more than the £11 I paid for the M&S ones! Wish I'd gone for a longer leg size though, if I turn them up so the reflective bits are visible I end up with cold lower legs!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Winged wheels

Post by Winged wheels »

Meyer standard trousers, just as good, well cut tough and look normal...because they are.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Winged wheels wrote:Meyer standard trousers, just as good, well cut tough and look normal...because they are.

A link?
Sweep
honesty

Post by honesty »

Was in the M&S store at Clarks village in Street today, and it looks like they've done a mk2 of these, or at least done a bit of a ninja product test. They're called Modern, slim fit, with stretch and cycling turn up. Catchy. Anyway a few good points and a few bad by the looks of it.
So whats it got? Gripper waist band, same as the previous models. Subtle reflective details in the back pocket and when turning up the hem. Better clips in the leg, more like the Vulpine trousers, so button based. Button phone/change pocket.
What it's lost: no diamond gusset, so not sure how comfortable there's would be on a long ride. No claimed waterproofing, which the previous versions weren't for me anyway.

Going to give these a go commuting to work next week and will report back.
Si

Post by Si »

Thanks for the heads up...will investigate.

After using the original ones for quite some time now my other observation of them is that the seat seems to wear out rather quicker than I thought it ought. OK, one pair id have a bit of a slide down the road so it's understandable that they got a bit thread bare, but the others have only had normal wear and tear and are also going a bit thin....suffice to say I've wouldn't wear pink knickers under them!

apart from that they are fairing pretty well - the knees have kept their shape very well...something I find annoying with some trousers when used on the bike.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I've tried them on an they feel decent. Definite material change though from the previous versions. They're a bit on trend for me in the fit, I usually like slightly more room in the legs for my work trousers but seem comfortable.