Surly Long Haul Trucker

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
53x13

Surly Long Haul Trucker

Post by 53x13 »

Can get one of the above frames pretty cheap second hand. What would be the pitfalls in building up a LHT for distance cycling. What's the best group/wheels to buy and can anyone recommend an effective braking system? New to the forum.
gaz

Re: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Post by gaz »

Is the frame a disc trucker or is it set up for cantis/Vs?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Welcome! Lots of Surly owners on here. Not many pitfalls I don't think once you've done the research. Much more experienced group/wheel builders on here to follow. I've got a DT as I prefer maintaining the bike with discs. All the best and enjoy the mad world that a Surly will bring to you...b
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

It's a canti set up. I've heard on other forums that properly set up cantis can be as good as cabled discs, but I'm yet to be convinced!
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

I should say that I'm planning a European tour on it in July, so don't really have all that much time to get it built!
Heltor Chasca

Surly Long Haul Trucker

Post by Heltor Chasca »

53x13 wrote:I should say that I'm planning a European tour on it in July, so don't really have all that much time to get it built!

I wouldn't panic. Once you have the bits it doesn't take long. I'm not particularly experienced and just needed help with the BB and steerer. Go onto the Surly website and you can get ideas from their list for the LHT and choose those or better. I've got to say I think they have chosen a pretty good mix if you are doing Europe. All spares readily available, not that you'll need it.
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 28 Apr 2016, 8:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heltor Chasca

Surly Long Haul Trucker

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I did benefit from building a front wheel with a dynamo hub for charging batteries and devices.
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

Thanks! I've had a look at the website, but am really interested in how people have customized their own LHTs. I'm looking for a little inspiration here ;) For wheels I was thinking something relatively lightweight as I'd like the packed weight of the bike plus bags to be under 25 kg.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

53x13 wrote:It's a canti set up. I've heard on other forums that properly set up cantis can be as good as cabled discs, but I'm yet to be convinced!

My teenage daughter has an old Dawes Super Galaxy with cant is and they are a delight.

I forgot to ask: What colour and size did you get? You'll notice Surly owners are very pro Surly's colour pallet. Check out their mad videos on YouTube btw.
Heltor Chasca

Surly Long Haul Trucker

Post by Heltor Chasca »

53x13 wrote:Thanks! I've had a look at the website, but am really interested in how people have customized their own LHTs. I'm looking for a little inspiration here ;) For wheels I was thinking something relatively lightweight as I'd like the packed weight of the bike plus bags to be under 25 kg.

That leaves you 8kg. How will you carry a bottle or two of Ouzo? I've just packed my rig (bearing in mind night time temperatures are reaching frost levels, for 4 days (which is the same as I'd take for a long tour in temperate climes) and the entire rig including all my food and 1 day's water and I'm 45kg total!
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 28 Apr 2016, 8:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Post by gaz »

53x13 wrote:What's the best group/wheels to buy and can anyone recommend an effective braking system?

Cantis/Vs now confirmed.

Flat bars / drops? If drops STIs / bar-end shifters / down tube levers? (Sorry if I'm wrong in assuming it's not going to be hub geared.)
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

It's a kind of pearly grey! I'm hoping to get the bike down to 13/14kg by doing what I've done on most of my bikes: speccing with high end Shimano Dura Ace (bar end) and lots of carbon fibre in the low stress areas. I do not like carrying heavy bikes up French staircases :D
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

53x13 wrote:It's a kind of pearly grey! I'm hoping to get the bike down to 13/14kg by doing what I've done on most of my bikes: speccing with high end Shimano Dura Ace (bar end) and lots of carbon fibre in the low stress areas. I do not like carrying heavy bikes up French staircases :D

My 50cm DT weighs 17kg.
PH

Post by PH »

Braking options,in order of preference (Mine)
Full Vs - not designed to work with drop bars and STIs, though there is a work around.
Mini Vs - almost as good as the full size, to work with drop bar STIs they have to be run close to the rim, you'll have to work out available tyre/mudguard clearance to see if you can use them. 35mm tyres and guards could be OK.
Cantis - come in a few flavors, right pads, cables and set up and should see them working fine, but they are not as easy as Vs to keep that way.
Brakes are a hot topic on these forums, plenty of experience and advice if you search for it.

Wheels - Spa cycles are a pretty good bet unless you are either building your own or know a local wheelbuilder with a good reputation. I like Shimano LX hubs and Exal XL17 rims, not lightweight but certainly not as heavy as some, but there's plenty of choice. IMO build quality trumps the components.

The rest of it - whatever takes your fancy. Comfort first and make sure your riding position on it are right before you go. Again plenty of advice already on here.
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

I'm hoping that by saving on discs and using lighter wheels I can shed 2kg straight away. From there, it's lightweight saddle (not sure which) carbon post, 200 gr pedals, lightweight stem and bars (any recommendations welcome) and a lightweight baggage system. That's hopefully another 3kg right there.