Surly Long Haul Trucker

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
531colin

Re: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Post by 531colin »

Brucey wrote:............Surly say you can use a 42-53 double on an LHT, but not what chainline you can have. In their 'spew' on bottom brackets they specifically mention that large chainrings may necessitate 'a longer BB spindle than normal' which may translate to 'non-starter with a 'road' HT-II chainset. I also suspect that it may be slightly different between LHTs for 26" and 700C wheels because the latter has clearance for narrower tyres than the former.............

Chainstay length is the same 700 & 26"....I may be confused, but doesn't that mean same chainring clearance, different tyre clearance?
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

I've seen this fork used on an LHT custom build in the US, it's light 450gr, has loads of clearance and is virtually identical to the LHT fork per dimensions. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARBON-bike-M ... HGLGYnq1cA

The main reasons I want a light tourer (with camping kit facilities) are three fold : We're cycling from the UK to Gibraltar, take about 30 days more or less. Half camping, the other half hotels/b+b in big towns and cities. Likely there will be a of carrying up stairs ect in cities. We plan to have 3-4 rest days so I'd like a light bike to mosey around the Alps and the Pyrenees. Riding 500 miles of the Camino also, about 20% of which is on very rough tracks, and a fair bit of that can't be cycled. I do not fancy pushing (or pulling!) a 60lb loaded tourer down/up steep rock strewn hills.

As I've said, this is a custom build. Probably electronic, (for those concerned about reliability I've a cousin in Canada just took an LHT with di2 through two brutal Canadian winters without even a flutter), probably disc front, full V rear (thanks guys!), and hopefully under 10kg without baggage.

As for wheels I've no idea yet, visiting a local wheel builder famous for strong build this weekend. (the wheels, not the wheel builder :wink: )
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

As for baggage, I'm not sure. I'm thinking I can maybe get away with a rear pannier and a saddlebag. Carrying: lightweight tent, small sleeping bag, not many clothes, tools and spare tubes, digital camera. GPS, probably not. I prefer maps!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

531colin wrote:
Brucey wrote:............Surly say you can use a 42-53 double on an LHT, but not what chainline you can have. In their 'spew' on bottom brackets they specifically mention that large chainrings may necessitate 'a longer BB spindle than normal' which may translate to 'non-starter with a 'road' HT-II chainset. I also suspect that it may be slightly different between LHTs for 26" and 700C wheels because the latter has clearance for narrower tyres than the former.............

Chainstay length is the same 700 & 26"....I may be confused, but doesn't that mean same chainring clearance, different tyre clearance?

Maybe, but surly say 2.1" tyres for the 26" wheel bike and 42-45mm (or something) for 700C. The fat bit of a 2.1"x26" tyre isn't so far away from where the fat bit of a 700 x 42 tyre is, so I do wonder if the chainstays are subtly different somehow.

I'm suggesting that it should at least be checked, bearing in mind surly's comment about 'large' (50T +) chainrings....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
meic

Post by meic »

I also suspect that it may be slightly different between LHTs for 26" and 700C wheels because the latter has clearance for narrower tyres than the former.

Isnt that just because 622 puts the tyres 30mm deeper into the frame than 559mm?

Reading the first request for tyre recommendations, I would suggest the Panaracer Pasela 1.5" or the Vittoria RUBINO Pro 1.5".

I have used the former on my Raleigh and now LHT and it is excellent (I agree with Thorn for once) and the Rubino comes recommended by others.
Then with the added requirement of 500miles of possible rough stuff on the Camino, I would still stick with them. The Pasela offers useable tread but more vulnerable sidewalls than the Rubino.
(I would have a Rubino as a spare anyway.)

Shimano LX or XT hubs and Exal LX 17 rims would be my starting point for midweight affordable wheels.
Yma o Hyd
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

53x13 wrote:I've seen this fork used on an LHT custom build in the US, it's light 450gr, has loads of clearance and is virtually identical to the LHT fork per dimensions. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARBON-bike-M ... Ynq1cA.....

I didn't notice an offset specification and the crown height looks a fair bit more than a 26" LHT has to me....

The fork also has no mudguard eyes or carrier bosses, which may or may not be important to you.

cheers
meic

Post by meic »

53x13 wrote:As for baggage, I'm not sure. I'm thinking I can maybe get away with a rear pannier and a saddlebag. Carrying: lightweight tent, small sleeping bag, not many clothes, tools and spare tubes, digital camera. GPS, probably not. I prefer maps!

Rear Pannier singular?

My LHT is set up with a large saddlebag and rear panniers and it feels fine without front panniers, even well loaded, I had got half a mile up the road with 20kg on it before remembering that I had loaded it up, the handling was totally unphased.
Lightweight tent can be strapped on top of the rack with the saddlebag drooping off both sides of it, depending on how high your saddle is.
Yma o Hyd
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

The forks come with a mudguard/rack fitment option. They are cheap (about £50 delivered) so it's a worthwhile experiment to do disc/lightweight up front and it should shave 1.5lbs off the weight of the bike. I'll let you know how I get on after 3000 miles.
As for hubs, I'm looking at XT (as suggested) and maybe DT Swiss 340s as they are very robust and don't need much in the way of maintenance. Plus they are very well proven in off road scenarios. I've costed my expenditure on Di2, the bar end/climbing blippers are about the same price as the STI levers, all in it'll be about £200 more than a similar mechanical solution as I already have a wiring loom and battery from a previous set up, which can be reused.

I'm willing to experiment with various set ups on this bike, I see it as a work in progress likely over a few years :lol:
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

Alpkit, Apidura or Revelate will give you frame/seat bags, which will be lighter than panniers/rack.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Out of interest what sort of gear range are yo thinking of having on this setup (front rings and rear cassette)?

Do you have details of the fork with rack mounting options? You don't see many carbon forks that allow for a front rack.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

53x13 wrote:The forks come with a mudguard/rack fitment option. They are cheap (about £50 delivered) so it's a worthwhile experiment to do disc/lightweight up front and it should shave 1.5lbs off the weight of the bike. I'll let you know how I get on after 3000 miles....

if the crown height is +25mm or so (as I fear it is) then the steering geometry will likely be completely different. If so, the seat angle will also change, of course. I'd suggest riding the bike with each fork in to see how the steering feels before committing to ride 3000 miles on the bike.

cheers
meic

Post by meic »

and it should shave 1.5lbs off the weight of the bike.

There is always a bit of CF "tax" like the need for a heavy expanding stem cap instead of a starfangled washer.
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

53x13 wrote:As for baggage, I'm not sure. I'm thinking I can maybe get away with a rear pannier and a saddlebag. Carrying: lightweight tent, small sleeping bag, not many clothes, tools and spare tubes, digital camera. GPS, probably not. I prefer maps!

it's lightweight saddle (not sure which) carbon post,

When fitting a saddlebag, I had to fit a Brooks (heavy bum punisher) for the saddlebag loops to hang my saddlebag from.
Lightweight saddle will require additional fittings or an SQL all of which eats into your weight allowance.
How do CF seatposts cope with the abrasion from saddlebag straps? Some would consider it unsafe without any consideration, I just think it is worth considering.
Yma o Hyd
jk49

Post by jk49 »

I've put an ebay picasia carbon fork on my 90's rockhopper. I really like it. Been riding it for 6-7 months now, so a bit early to comment on longevity, but it has certainly made a noticeable difference to the weight of the front end unloaded. I don't use front rack or front panniers either. Seems a bit more compliant off road too. Also use 1.5" randonneur pros, highly recommended.
meic

Post by meic »

Also use 1.5" randonneur pros, highly recommended.

Do you happen to know how much they weighed?
My suspicion is that they are substantially heavier than the two I mentioned, which may be worth it for your average LHT rider but not for those who want a bike as light as possible.
Yma o Hyd