20 inch tyre comparison Schwalbe Durano / Nutrak

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
latequartet

20 inch tyre comparison Schwalbe Durano / Nutrak

Post by latequartet »

Looking for something less than a 20 x 1.5 tyre and I've come across two different 20 x 1.1 tyre. My preference is the less slick the better; but it seems the smallest I can find are the Durano and the Nutrak, which both look very slick? Any comments, anyone who knows, please or other suggestions?
A towing-daily-road cyclist (without a car) with children and a wife. Cycling close to and on the NCN 6 in Sheffield.
Dave W

Re: 20 inch tyre comparison Schwalbe Durano / Nutrak

Post by Dave W »

Why less slick?
I have shwalbe kojaks 1.5 which are completely slick.
latequartet

Post by latequartet »

Because it's for my 4 year old?
A towing-daily-road cyclist (without a car) with children and a wife. Cycling close to and on the NCN 6 in Sheffield.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

:D I see.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there's a few here;

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-20-406-dept194_pg1/#page=all

conti sportcontact looks nice?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
latequartet

Post by latequartet »

Thanks Brucey, too, I think the Conti Sport looks a bit more grippy than the Durano, especially more than the Nutrak(?), they're all 20 x 406, which is what I'm hoping for: the only thing about the Nutrak is someone's selling them for 5.99 each!!
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Just curious: why deny a 4yr old of the benefits of wider tyres :?
"42"
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I like the Kenda Small Block Eights 20x1.5 as specced on Frogs and Islabikes. Grippy and secure on all surfaces, but roll well too. Devil to get hold of in 1.5 flavour (Frog &Isla seem to have a monopoly) but narrower are readily available.

ETA
Which bike with 20s is your 4yo riding, as I would have thought a bike with 16s would be the best size for that age?
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

My daughters bike is on 20" Schawalbe Crazy Bob's, and they have been great on everything from smooth tarmac and skate metal skate/bmx ramps to the trails around New Forest and Coed Y Brenin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCHWALBE-BMX- ... PK_u6N9LLw

First pair I found listed on ebay, other online sellers are available - I've found rosebikes to be very competitive on tyre prices but you might need to *ahem* buy yourself something to justify the postage :)
RickH

Post by RickH »

Bike 24 do quite a variety with all sorts of prices, widths & tread (or lack of :D ) (you can apply a filter to just show 20" ones but the link with the filter doesn't play nicely with the forum links) postage is a flat rate 5.95EU.

I've used them several times and been happy with their service, although where they used to be a lot cheaper UK prices seem to have got closer to theirs in quite a few instances - I don't know if that is mainly due to varying exchange rates or just wider UK availability of stuff.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
latequartet

Post by latequartet »

squeaker wrote:Just curious: why deny a 4yr old of the benefits of wider tyres :?

Thanks: an expressed preference and they're going cheap at 5.99: a contrast with the chunky Kenda 20 x 1.5s

bonesfishblues wrote:I like the Kenda Small Block Eights 20x1.5 as specced on Frogs and Islabikes. Grippy and secure on all surfaces, but roll well too. Devil to get hold of in 1.5 flavour (Frog &Isla seem to have a monopoly) but narrower are readily available.
ETA
Which bike with 20s is your 4yo riding, as I would have thought a bike with 16s would be the best size for that age?

Thanks: just switching onto a Beinn 20 small for the summer, a tip on the Islabikes Facebook page to put a Cnoc seat-post in, to lower the saddle height's worked a treat.
Our child's super-experienced and confident and wanted something a bit more slimline tyres wise ... just weighing up what we think.

AaronR wrote:My daughters bike is on 20" Schawalbe Crazy Bob's

Thanks, will browse, though the Crazy Bob's are bigger than the 20 x 1.5s currently on the bike, I think?

RickH wrote:Bike 24 do quite a variety with all sorts of prices, widths & tread (or lack of :D ) (you can apply a filter to just show 20" ones [...])

thanks for the tip and links.
reohn2 wrote:I found these [...]

Thanks reohn2 for considering options, both of these though are larger than the current 20 x 1.5s, my original post is exploring 20 x 1.1s, that's what we're especially exploring.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

latequartet wrote:Thanks reohn2 for considering options, both of these though are larger than the current 20 x 1.5s, my original post is exploring 20 x 1.1s, that's what we're especially exploring.

Sorry,didn't read the OP :oops:
As you were.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden